cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

block heater

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 2013 chevy 1 ton dually, doesel of course. after plugging in my block heater over night, it seemed hard to start. up untill now everything seemen fine. i do have 120 volts at my plug in.
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So what's the deal mac?
Is it working? Are your glow plugs working?
Your block heater isn't what's making the truck hard to start in mild temperatures.

But then again, you haven't actually described the symptoms and are stuck on the block heater being bad, when that won't cause a hard start under your conditions. And a failed block heater is rare, unlike failed glow plugs.

Going to post more info or keep not addressing what you don't want to hear?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:

From what i can tell my 2013 may not have a t stat built in. mine has just the normal 3 prong plug, from pictures i see the stat is built into the plug correct?

2001-2016 do NOT have thermostatic control, 2017+ L5P engines do have thermostats. And are subject to a recall.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
duramax coolant heater on this era truck has a thermostat. Thermostat enables heater operation at 0 degrees F.

If you need PDF copies of your owners manual and duramax supplement -they are available at
https://my.chevrolet.com

You may need to register to access the duramax supplement.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
ScottG wrote:
machunt wrote:
can we just stay on topic, all i want to do is check my cord or my heater its self to see which is bad. and i dont have a fancy plug with a element on it. just a simple 3 prong male plug

ON the first page, 2003Silverado gave you the answer.
Plug it in and look for a spark as you do so.

Are you not getting a spark? If you are, it's working.

But if no spark , doesn't mean it isn't working!!!!!

for the 2003 that works. For later models, not a good indications. Somewhere between 204.5 and 2015 GM added a thermostat in the block heater circuit so it won't turn on above a certain temp, somewhere around freezing. So the plug in and check for a spark above that temps is going to head you in the wrong direction!!!!

From what i can tell my 2013 may not have a t stat built in. mine has just the normal 3 prong plug, from pictures i see the stat is built into the plug correct?

I'd check your diesel suppliment owners manual. It should have the straight scoop on the thermostat and if it has one or not.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
ScottG wrote:
machunt wrote:
can we just stay on topic, all i want to do is check my cord or my heater its self to see which is bad. and i dont have a fancy plug with a element on it. just a simple 3 prong male plug

for the 2003 that works. For later models, not a good indications. Somewhere between 204.5 and 2015 GM added a thermostat in the block heater circuit so it won't turn on above a certain temp, somewhere around freezing. So the plug in and check for a spark above that temps is going to head you in the wrong direction!!!!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
machunt wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
machunt wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So your cord unplugs from the heater presumably (by your post)?
Unplug the cord form the heater, plug cord into power, test terminals on the end. If that's good, then it's the heating element.

So you're sure it's not working? Felt the heater/hose/engine at the heater after being plugged in and it's not warm, correct?

Asking because looking at the recent weather in Cincinnati, it hasn't been cold enough to even remotely need the block heater to aid in starting.
And your truck is not new. Are you sure the glow plugs are all working? More likely the problem than the coolant heater if it's starting hard.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
There's really no way having it plugged in can make it harder to start.
If you're having to crank it more, you may have injector, HP pump or something else causing pressure issues.

I think he's just saying that it used to start easier (in the cold weather) plugged in but now does not. But didn't explain that very well...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
all i want to do is check my cord or my heater its self to see which is bad.
Ok, then get out your voltmeter, but I already replied with the easiest thing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
I found a way to get rid of my block heater....moved to new mexico ๐Ÿ™‚
I live in NM. Was 15ยฐ overnight last October 10.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I found a way to get rid of my block heater....moved to new mexico ๐Ÿ™‚

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I've got block heaters on 3 diesel vehicles and 3 gas vehicles here in Los Anchorage. Although some of the fleet is not used quite often, I'll use the block heater on vehicles I will be using if the temps are 15 degrees or colder.

- Make sure you're getting power from your house: attach that extension cord to a hair dryer, trouble light, something.
- If power's good from the house, plug in the heater on a cold morning. Some heaters do have internal thermostats and won't kick on above a certain temp.
- Listen closely for a sound inside the hood: it can be a sparking sound, a whirring sound, or just a hum. That would indicate the heater is working. FWIW, heaters do fail (in a variety of ways), but in somewhere north of 40 years of driving in Alaska, I've never seen a failure where the heater element/circulator/itself was good while the attached electrical wiring was bad: in other words, if you have power to the male plug of the heater, either it works or it's the heater itself that's failed.

As others have noted, and I've had similar experiences, plugging in a failed heater will not make cranking more difficult. Difficult cranking is something else.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

machunt
Explorer
Explorer