cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY Tool to Pressure Bleed Brake Lines

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J on a Workhorse W24 frame. We have bad rust on my brake lines in the rear. One got a pin hole leak so I replaced all the brake lines from about 3 ft back from ABS to the caliper hoses. 

The service manual says prefers a pressure bleed at 20-30 psi so I searched for available tools and realized I could make my own.  Below are photos of items for a homemade pressure bleed tool:

- rubber stoppers
- barbed nipple
- hose
- bungee cord

I discovered that apparently the front and rear fluid reservoirs are connected somehow.  Initially I was putting pressure just on the left reservoir but I could hear air escaping from the right reservoir cap.  So I got another stopper.

I connected hose to air gun set to ~20 psi, worked great.  On rear lines I initially got bubbles, then solid fluid, continued to flush.  Used about a gallon of brake fluid.  I flushed the front lines as well. Always keep fluid in the reservoirs.

I used double flare tool (auto store loaned me the tool) and after I practiced several times became pleased with my results.  It requires a lot of force to form a steel line flare.  See photo of my unions.

Thanks to Kevin Caudill for his informative YouTube and valuable help.

Materials
Pressure Prep
Pressure Bleeding
Unions
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
3 REPLIES 3

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious how you was going to keep the reservoir from popping off the master cylinder. Good thinking outside the box!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use the vacuum system bleed since the early 70s.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just be sure to not let the fluid reservoir to get dry or you will get air in to the ABS module, which is a little difficult to bleed.
The rest of the brake lines can be either pressure bled or vacuum bled for the same results. My WH takes about 3 quarts for a complete flush every two years.