cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We were shocked to learn our newly purchased TT

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that a 2020 keystone hideout 338lhs could only have a gas water heater?? That's what the lady who showed us the features of the trailer said, but I wasn't 100% sure she knew what she was talking about cause then in the same breath said 'but the outside is electric"
67 REPLIES 67

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Matt1221 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why?

Why do you want a electric water heater so badly? Just curious.

I get why you would want a gas heater if it was only electric because then you really can't boondock too easy.

For 40 years my parents and my trailers have had only gas HWH's. About 5 years ago I bought my first trailer with a gas/electric water heater. So in 5 years I don't think I have turned it on electric. Maybe once to test it out?

Like I said, just curious.

Because the propane dealer is too far away from where our mostly stationary trailer will be. We also only have 20lb tanks.

Got ya. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why?

I get why you would want a gas heater if it was only electric because then you really can't boondock too easy.

For 40 years my parents and my trailers have had only gas HWH's. About 5 years ago I bought my first trailer with a gas/electric water heater. So in 5 years I don't think I have turned it on electric. Maybe once to test it out?

Because the propane dealer is too far away from where our mostly stationary trailer will be. We also only have 20lb tanks.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why?

Iโ€™m with you. Our class C and previous tt were gas only. The new tt is electric as well. I tried both the gas and electric. Donโ€™t notice a difference either way.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Why?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Well it is indeed gas only. I have trailer in my possession as of friday.
Had we had known that when we initially looked at it (didn't think to ask) would have haggled them on a deal to include electric one.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Reading the posts about the loud gas water heaters yโ€™all REALLY wouldnโ€™t like my crawfish burner.
(but oh itโ€™s so worth it)

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first trailer did not have electric (only gas), thought about getting the element that goes into the drain hole, but never did... current trailer has gas/electric and we use electric when we are camped with hookups. If both of us are getting a shower, we might turn gas part on, but otherwise let the electric keep it warm.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
afidel wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
RoyF wrote:
I agree with mockturtle about turning gas heater off at night. If I am dry camping then the water heater is turned on in the morning for dish washing and showers, then it is turned off. The water stays warm all day long.
Do you turn your water heater "off" in your house as well? Same logic applies, except it has a much bigger tank, and will stay warm even longer.

Besides, warm isn't hot.

At home there isn't a bunk bed 6" above the water heater and that water heater wasn't made to RV industry "standards". I turn mine off at night because the thought of harming my kid because I was too selfish to wait a few minutes for hot water would be enough to drive me to suicide.

Fear, no matter how irrational is a powerful motivater. Our present health scare in the media is a prime example.

The media plays on everything and anything so people tune Iโ€™m. The same happens here when snow of more than an inch or two is predicted. It is all you hear about.

That being said, we turn our water heater off when weโ€™re not using it. I canโ€™t see heating water all day or all night when weโ€™re not using it. At 6 gallons, it takes mere minutes to get it hot.
I guess I see things differently than many. For many here, camping is the experience. For me, it is the means to an end. My TT is there to support my outdoor activities. So I want it to do that as effectively as possible. That means I want hot water with no waiting... That time spent waiting can be better used doing what I am there for.... And yes do enjoy being out in the woods. Camper or no camper
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
afidel wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
RoyF wrote:
I agree with mockturtle about turning gas heater off at night. If I am dry camping then the water heater is turned on in the morning for dish washing and showers, then it is turned off. The water stays warm all day long.
Do you turn your water heater "off" in your house as well? Same logic applies, except it has a much bigger tank, and will stay warm even longer.

Besides, warm isn't hot.

At home there isn't a bunk bed 6" above the water heater and that water heater wasn't made to RV industry "standards". I turn mine off at night because the thought of harming my kid because I was too selfish to wait a few minutes for hot water would be enough to drive me to suicide.

Fear, no matter how irrational is a powerful motivater. Our present health scare in the media is a prime example.

The media plays on everything and anything so people tune Iโ€™m. The same happens here when snow of more than an inch or two is predicted. It is all you hear about.

That being said, we turn our water heater off when weโ€™re not using it. I canโ€™t see heating water all day or all night when weโ€™re not using it. At 6 gallons, it takes mere minutes to get it hot.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
RoyF wrote:

Besides, warm isn't hot.

I am not sure what scares you about the water heater... But consider this: your TT has propane tanks. Have you ever seen what the results of a propane explosion can be? I have. I was first on the scene of a fellow field trial participant and friend that had a propane
explosion. It was horrific. Sparing the details, he died about 2 weeks later.

Obviously, some things went wrong, and some bad decisions were made. I will note that debri went over 200 yards... So whether you are 6" or 20 ft away isn't gonna make a lot of difference.

Yes I still use propane, and I respect it. But I am not scared of it.

If you are scared to go to sleep around it, why are you OK with it when awake? My friend that died was awake when his accident occured.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
RoyF wrote:

Besides, warm isn't hot.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
kellem wrote:
I'm still betting electric.
Gas only on a 2020 trailer that size.....nah.

What does the size of the trailer have to do with it? I can see the number of hot water users (washer, more than one bath, etc.) making a difference, but if a 20โ€™ trailer has one bath and one kitchen sink, and a 30โ€™ trailer has the same, theyโ€™re both using the same amount of hot water.

Was also referring to the year "2020".
What I find puzzling is and without request, our last 3 trailers came equipped with gas/electric WH dating back to 2004.

I find it surprising that a reputable trailer manufacturer would outfit an RV without that option at this point and time, thought it was a given.

Perhaps not a deal breaker but something I take advantage of every time I'm plugged in.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keystone uses Suburban Water Heater

Gas only.......plain jane---just anode rod drain below burner tube

Gas/Electric.......oval cover below/under Gas Valve/Burner Tube AND a 'toggle switch' in lower left area below/behind gas valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Well it is 37 foot long total & bath & a half. but i don't see that meaning anything.