cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockerball trailer hitch -- has anyone tried it?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thing supposedly takes the lurch out of towing a trailer -- if anyone has tried it, we'd love to hear your opinions -- thanks in advance!

Rockerball
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
21 REPLIES 21

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
I don't think it is compatible with a weight distributing hitch since they use pressure between the ball and bars

It's not. From the Q&A on etrailer's page:

The Curt RockerBall Shock Absorbing 2" Hitch Ball part # C40047 will not work with a weight distribution system because the flange that gets wedged between the platform and base that stops the unit from rotating will not fit over the shank on a weight distribution system. Therefore, the Curt RockerBall must be used with a standard ball mount like the Curt Ball Mount for 2" Hitches part # C45067.

If you are looking to add a shock absorbing feature to your weight distribution system you'll want to swap out your shank with the Gen-Y Shock Absorbing Weight Distribution Shank part # 325-GH-12006.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is compatible with a weight distributing hitch since they use pressure between the ball and bars

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
my 14" aluminum fishing boat is 1 7/8
my 8 foot utility trailer was 2"
my 91 prowler (19 feet) was 2 5/16
my 08 flagstaff (23 feet) is 2"

lol, So?

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my 14" aluminum fishing boat is 1 7/8
my 8 foot utility trailer was 2"
my 91 prowler (19 feet) was 2 5/16
my 08 flagstaff (23 feet) is 2"
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So I'm like your brother except 40 years would put me starting out towing a wagon behind my bmx bike or a sweeper behind my grammas lawn mower. Either way, I don't understand what "lurching" is. Never wore out a hitch ball, no grease, not sure what there is to "adjust" on a hitch really. Maybe couple times have adjusted the bottom of the latch out of idk, hundreds of different trailers.
Never hooked a wdh to my truck but I have had to drop trailers and go find a bigger truck sometimes when the truck looked like a dog draggin it's @ss across the carpet.
Never actually weighed a trailer or my truck. Not passenger trucks anyway, just commercial loads.
I consider a quiet hitch anything that isn't a pintle hitch. Some of y'all would **** your pants and think you were gonna meet your maker the first time you hit the brakes with a pintle hitch and the trailer feels like it rear ends the truck.....every time.

This is a gimmick, not unlike many other towing aids.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
My brother has been towing nearly 40 years. He never greases the ball, never attaches anything to keep the hitch from rattling around and just has accepted this is towing.

Me, I have perfection.
I grease the ball.
I tighten the trailer hitch to fit the ball perfectly, just enough to move freely in all direction, but tight enough that there is no play.
I use the U-bolts to tighten the receiver so it does not move, and lastly
I have a WD hitch.
I get no lurch (whatever that is) or any odd input from the trailer hitch.

I cannot imagine how rubber would improve anything in my system

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have one and have never seen one.

My brother has a receiver hitch that has a slotted hole and rubber mounted inside of it. This is where the pin goes through . This is suppose to take some shock out of towing. I've used it and don't notice any difference.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I sure wouldn't want my ball rocking back and forth as I was towing.
Bob

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Only rated for 7500 lbs?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
And it's still a bad idea from an engineering standpoint.

I agree. I'm not an engineer, but common sense tells me that it doesn't sound like a good idea to have movement at the ball like that.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And it's still a bad idea from an engineering standpoint.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone asked why I posted this question. It's simple: I'm curious about new products. Maybe someone has come up with a better mousetrap!

And to answer another question, no, I am not getting lurching of my trailer, because I use an anti-rattle device that firmly couples the drawbar and the receiver. But maybe this new product is better than what I am using?

So that is why I posted. But apparently no one who has used this product has yet responded. I hope they do.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Someone figured out a way to complicate a trailer ball.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No thanks, I don't consider a trailer hitch something that should move or require maintenance.
But I bet I could bend the shank on that ball given a few months using it at work!

For the same reason receiver adapter sleeves are a bad idea, this one is equally as bad. the soft rubber "cushion" provides an unsupported length that creates a bending moment in the hitch shank vs being in shear.
Maybe fine for someone doing infrequent light duty trailering, but otherwise, not good.