cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing Generator To A Cargo Carrier On A Receiver Hitch

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas on the best way to secure a 3700 watt inverter generator to a rear cargo carrier attached to a trailer's frame mounted reciever hitch. Genny weighs about 95 lbs. I've seen a couple of products online, one being a locking tray that attaches to a reciever hitch:

Generator tray for receiver hitch

As I would like to use my larger 60x24" cargo carrier (to carry additional fuel), what have RV owners done to fabricate something like this with an existing carrier? Pics would be helpful.

I thought about constructing a 5-sided expanded metal box to slip over the generator, bolting it down to the carrier and punching out 2 windows for front panel and fill cap access. I could then slip over a waterproof cover and it would be hidden from view.

The plan is to make power accessibility extremely easy for an up coming 2 month alaskan adventure. As we'll be moving pretty frequently, it would be nice to be able to remove the cover, connect the 30 amp trailer plug, and use the wireless remote to start/stop the genny without ever having to move it.

Again, any pics on how to best secure a generator tona cargo carrier are appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CJM1973 wrote:

The trailers receiver hitch is not oem. It was fabricated by a metal shop that specilizes in hitches. It was secured and reinforced to the frame rails by a professional fabricator/welder. It looks better than any class three hitch I've seen on most motor vehicles. I've seen some sketchy bumper mounted receiver hitches that are about as polar opposite as my frame mounted trailer hitch. So, quality is a mute point.

It's a 95 lb generator and two 2.5 gallon cans of fuel (30 lbs). The cargo carrier is approx 55 lbs. Would be well under 200 lbs.

That sounds much more viable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
2) I would get nervous with a 100lb generator plus another 100lb of gas...that's a lot of weight and the back of a trailer can move around quite a bit on rough roads.
------------------------------------------
The gen weighs 80 pounds and the gas can 40, so 120 pounds not 200. And what are those carriers designed to carry, feather pillows? I usually see big ice chests full of water and cans.

OP said 95lb generator and a couple cans of gas...that can get up pretty close to 200lb.

I see people doing scary stuff too...doesn't mean I would recommend it. If things shift on the rack, that's a lot of torsion on the 2" receiver and some have a pretty sloppy fit in the receiver, so I've seen them flopping around. A bad weld or using the paper thin rear bumper for support and after a few thousand miles on rough roads (OP is heading to alaska), and a failure is a real possibility if not a solid design.

The trailers receiver hitch is not oem. It was fabricated by a metal shop that specilizes in hitches. It was secured and reinforced to the frame rails by a professional fabricator/welder. It looks better than any class three hitch I've seen on most motor vehicles. I've seen some sketchy bumper mounted receiver hitches that are about as polar opposite as my frame mounted trailer hitch. So, quality is a mute point.

It's a 95 lb generator and two 2.5 gallon cans of fuel (30 lbs). The cargo carrier is approx 55 lbs. Would be well under 200 lbs.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
2) I would get nervous with a 100lb generator plus another 100lb of gas...that's a lot of weight and the back of a trailer can move around quite a bit on rough roads.
The gen weighs 80 pounds and the gas can 40, so 120 pounds not 200. And what are those carriers designed to carry, feather pillows? I usually see big ice chests full of water and cans.

OP said 95lb generator and a couple cans of gas...that can get up pretty close to 200lb.

I see people doing scary stuff too...doesn't mean I would recommend it. If things shift on the rack, that's a lot of torsion on the 2" receiver and some have a pretty sloppy fit in the receiver, so I've seen them flopping around. A bad weld or using the paper thin rear bumper for support and after a few thousand miles on rough roads (OP is heading to alaska), and a failure is a real possibility if not a solid design.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. I do have the option of installing a receiver hitch on the front of my tow vehicle, a 1 ton GMC Savana 3500 extended passenger van. But, I'm not keen on keeping a covered generator and gas can on the cargo carrier in plane view.

I would like to see how you fabricated the mounts to your cargo carrier. Do you have a pic of it? Just looking for ideas.

I thought about fabricating some metal strapping up and over the top of the generator and bolting the ends to the cargo carrier's frame. That would take care of both the mounting issue and security issue. I could then apply a metal cage over top and cover with an oversized cover.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
With my honda generator I had four pieces of metal welded to the base of the cargo carrier that where inserted into the base of the my honda generator. It is not welded to the generator but is welded to the carrier. It may seem extreme but it serves me well. All though I still strap the generator to keep it tight to the carrier it is virtually impossible for it to bounce off the rack even if the straps brake. Also with it attached to the rack it would take two young strapping men to steal it:) After of course cutting the high grade locking pin.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
CJM1973 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
If you run the gen on the carrier the noise and vibration inside will not be very tolerable. I did it once for 5 minutes or so.

I would have to disagree with this. I have used mine in such a fashion on my 5th wheel and on the front of my truck. The front of the truck I can easily sleep with it running. It is almost not noticeable when wide awake. It is a little more noticeable when on the 5th wheel. But not bad at all. I have a honda 3u3000 which of course is very quiet and smooth.

This is a very quiet Westinghouse inverter generator. It's not an open frame generator. Similar to a Champion 3100/2800 Inverter generator. Noise is comparable to a Honda.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What are you towing with? We keep a generator in the truck bed and by directing the exhaust away from the sides can run it in the bed. It has a box that slides over the top to keep it out of sight and out of the weather....it's about 12yr old and I do need to do a little rebuild as it's plywood and the bottom is starting to rot.

1) Is your trailer hitch actually frame mounted and solid?
3) A cable lock is a reasonable solution. It will deter most potential thefts but not all.
4) Most people aren't over sensitive to generator noise...especially since most only run them longer time frames if they have the air/con running...which makes plenty of noise.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lock and hide has kept my quiet Westinghouse generator my Westinghouse generator.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chain and cable just deter the casual thief, someone wandering, with deficient morals, by and sees an unattached high value item. It obviously will not stop a prepared and determined thief. There are any number of ways to cut a cable/chain.
Superbumper

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
For those that use cables to secure your "stuff" to prevent theft:
You can buy this cable cutter at HF for $20 to silently defeat the thickest cable.

If on the other hand, if you use heavy chain, you take your pick of bolt cutters that will pop a chain with almost no noise:
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=bolt%20cutter

If all else fails, Dremel makes a battery powered tool with a cutoff wheel attachment that will slice through just about anything including hardened locks. It does make a little noise though.

The point I'm making is that nothing is safe anymore if the theft shows up prepared. Bolt those things down - you can't rely on chains and cables anymore.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The 3500/4000 inverter champion is also very quiet so I would run yours on the cargo rack before building anything just to see how it goes. Goes inside and sit down for a few minutes to see if it is tolerable.

I had my 2800/3100 inverter generator on the front of my trailer for deer camp and it worked out great. The Westinghouse is the same and truly is an Inverter generator. Can't use the front this time as the space is all taken by my tongue box and battery bank. So, I'm looking for security solutions on the rear with a cargo carrier.

BTW, I was unaware that Champion manufactured an insulated inverter generator in a 3500/4000 series. The only one that I found was a 64 dBA construction frame genny (compared to 52 dBA on the Westinghouse). But I digress.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 3500/4000 inverter champion is also very quiet so I would run yours on the cargo rack before building anything just to see how it goes. Goes inside and sit down for a few minutes to see if it is tolerable.
Superbumper

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
If you run the gen on the carrier the noise and vibration inside will not be very tolerable. I did it once for 5 minutes or so.

This is a very quiet Westinghouse inverter generator. It's not an open frame generator. Similar to a Champion 3100/2800 Inverter generator. Noise is comparable to a Honda.