Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Securing Generator To A Cargo Carrier On A Receiver Hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Securing Generator To A Cargo Carrier On A Receiver Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dave17352

Ne

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/01/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my honda generator I had four pieces of metal welded to the base of the cargo carrier that where inserted into the base of the my honda generator. It is not welded to the generator but is welded to the carrier. It may seem extreme but it serves me well. All though I still strap the generator to keep it tight to the carrier it is virtually impossible for it to bounce off the rack even if the straps brake. Also with it attached to the rack it would take two young strapping men to steal it[emoticon] After of course cutting the high grade locking pin.

* This post was last edited 03/01/20 08:23am by dave17352 *   View edit history


2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

CJM1973

Trenton, MI

New Member

Joined: 07/29/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. I do have the option of installing a receiver hitch on the front of my tow vehicle, a 1 ton GMC Savana 3500 extended passenger van. But, I'm not keen on keeping a covered generator and gas can on the cargo carrier in plane view.

I would like to see how you fabricated the mounts to your cargo carrier. Do you have a pic of it? Just looking for ideas.

I thought about fabricating some metal strapping up and over the top of the generator and bolting the ends to the cargo carrier's frame. That would take care of both the mounting issue and security issue. I could then apply a metal cage over top and cover with an oversized cover.

* This post was edited 03/01/20 09:05am by an administrator/moderator *

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2) I would get nervous with a 100lb generator plus another 100lb of gas...that's a lot of weight and the back of a trailer can move around quite a bit on rough roads.
------------------------------------------
The gen weighs 80 pounds and the gas can 40, so 120 pounds not 200. And what are those carriers designed to carry, feather pillows? I usually see big ice chests full of water and cans.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/01/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

2) I would get nervous with a 100lb generator plus another 100lb of gas...that's a lot of weight and the back of a trailer can move around quite a bit on rough roads.
------------------------------------------
The gen weighs 80 pounds and the gas can 40, so 120 pounds not 200. And what are those carriers designed to carry, feather pillows? I usually see big ice chests full of water and cans.


OP said 95lb generator and a couple cans of gas...that can get up pretty close to 200lb.

I see people doing scary stuff too...doesn't mean I would recommend it. If things shift on the rack, that's a lot of torsion on the 2" receiver and some have a pretty sloppy fit in the receiver, so I've seen them flopping around. A bad weld or using the paper thin rear bumper for support and after a few thousand miles on rough roads (OP is heading to alaska), and a failure is a real possibility if not a solid design.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


CJM1973

Trenton, MI

New Member

Joined: 07/29/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

2) I would get nervous with a 100lb generator plus another 100lb of gas...that's a lot of weight and the back of a trailer can move around quite a bit on rough roads.
------------------------------------------
The gen weighs 80 pounds and the gas can 40, so 120 pounds not 200. And what are those carriers designed to carry, feather pillows? I usually see big ice chests full of water and cans.


OP said 95lb generator and a couple cans of gas...that can get up pretty close to 200lb.

I see people doing scary stuff too...doesn't mean I would recommend it. If things shift on the rack, that's a lot of torsion on the 2" receiver and some have a pretty sloppy fit in the receiver, so I've seen them flopping around. A bad weld or using the paper thin rear bumper for support and after a few thousand miles on rough roads (OP is heading to alaska), and a failure is a real possibility if not a solid design.


The trailers receiver hitch is not oem. It was fabricated by a metal shop that specilizes in hitches. It was secured and reinforced to the frame rails by a professional fabricator/welder. It looks better than any class three hitch I've seen on most motor vehicles. I've seen some sketchy bumper mounted receiver hitches that are about as polar opposite as my frame mounted trailer hitch. So, quality is a mute point.

It's a 95 lb generator and two 2.5 gallon cans of fuel (30 lbs). The cargo carrier is approx 55 lbs. Would be well under 200 lbs.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/20 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CJM1973 wrote:


The trailers receiver hitch is not oem. It was fabricated by a metal shop that specilizes in hitches. It was secured and reinforced to the frame rails by a professional fabricator/welder. It looks better than any class three hitch I've seen on most motor vehicles. I've seen some sketchy bumper mounted receiver hitches that are about as polar opposite as my frame mounted trailer hitch. So, quality is a mute point.

It's a 95 lb generator and two 2.5 gallon cans of fuel (30 lbs). The cargo carrier is approx 55 lbs. Would be well under 200 lbs.


That sounds much more viable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Securing Generator To A Cargo Carrier On A Receiver Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.