cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue Jack Needed

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
So I messed upy shoulder last year and now am in need of installing an electric tongue Jack on the TT. I have been reading and researching, but would like some ideas on what you have and what is good out there.
30 REPLIES 30

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer has lots of tongue weight >1000 lbs or so look for a ball screw jack. Lighter weight acme thread is ok.

I have ball screw jacks on both my trailers. One is a older barker 2500? ball screw, my outback with 1500lbs on the tongue has a barker 3500 ball screw. Initially had a Atwood acme thread. It worked, but strained and made lots of noise.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
kearlms wrote:
Snip...

So my question is do all the aforementioned jacks have crank back up?

Yes
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry it's been so long sense I got back here. First shoulder surgery and then opening a new store through all the chaos.

So my question is do all the aforementioned jacks have crank back up?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
kearlms wrote:
So how is this one? Atwood

I've got the older version of that one and it's been fine for about 6 years. Zero problems. Can't comment on the new ones though.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
So how is this one? Atwood

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I have not manually cranked mine, but I did find out how to do it. There is a plug on top of the motor with a 9/16 nut under the plug. At least, I think thatโ€™s the size as itโ€™s been over 4 years. Anyhow, the top of the jack is about even with the propane tank cover, so I donโ€™t think it will be a problem.
If this one goes kaput, Iโ€™ll just have to research and decide.
Also, like you,I have no quarrel with Lippert. Skyline seems to have ordered better frames as mine is not welded, but is an 8โ€ one piece I-beam.
My Lippert frame is a real I beam as well. A 10" I beam 1/4" thick with 2-3/4" flanges.

Sabre spent some money on that frame.

We definitely need a like button.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I have not manually cranked mine, but I did find out how to do it. There is a plug on top of the motor with a 9/16 nut under the plug. At least, I think thatโ€™s the size as itโ€™s been over 4 years. Anyhow, the top of the jack is about even with the propane tank cover, so I donโ€™t think it will be a problem.
Also, like you,I have no quarrel with Lippert. Skyline seems to have ordered better frames as mine is not welded, but is an 8โ€ one piece I-beam.
My Lippert frame is a real I beam as well. A 10" I beam 1/4" thick with 2-3/4" flanges.

Sabre spent some money on that frame.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
From what I read here, and my experience, you will have the Atwood forever. Noise is the only complaint. There are many issues with the side motor mounted Jacks, and some cause them to fail. The Atwood is a top motor jack, and is the only one like it on the market.

Atwood has been bought by Lippert, another good one bites the dust.

Lippert's a huge company. Everything they make/sell/distribute TODAY is junk?

From what I've read on this forum they got the bad reputation from some bad/defective/dangerous trailer frames around 10 or 15 years ago.

Like I said in my prior post, my tongue jack is an Atwood. It came with the trailer. It works. Atwood could be a terrible company for all I know. Maybe they're owned by Lippert now?

Lippert owns a lot of companies.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
I bought a Husky Brute 4500 many years ago. I would buy it again only this time with a remote to drop it on the ball without getting out of the tow vehicle. It raises my 1200lbs of tongue weight plus the rear of my Burb quickly and easily. Link

My next one will have a remote. Between that and the backup camera, it should make hook up alone a breeze.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Back to jacks. The Ultra-Fab that came on ours was fine until I bought a new truck. The tailgate would not go all the way down, so I rotated it. Problem solved. The light on this unit was useless as it was mounted on the side and really didnโ€™t illuminate very well, anyway. Now, itโ€™s on the front, but still doesnโ€™t have any real usefulness. If I have to hitch/unhitch in the dark, I wear a headlight.
Also, the manual crank is on the top of the motor, so rotating it didnโ€™t affect that function.
I also always have a cover over the head. It didnโ€™t occur to me about accidentally turning the light on. I think Iโ€™m just going to remove the bulb and be done with it. Thanks, HDog, for mentioning that.
I owned a Ultrafab once for about 20 minutes.
It was on my new TT when I picked it up back in 2009. I traveled from Phoenix AZ to Sylvania Ohio to buy it. Upon arriving, the dealer informed me that the light swith on the Ultrafab was broken. A new switch was ordered, but would not arrive in time, as we had to head home the next day. I agreed that they could mail it to me, and I would install it. Upon hitching up, the UF locked up in the extended position on the way down. The dealer got a floor jack and removed the UF. I then told them that I had lost faith in that brand of jack, and wanted an Atwood like I had on my previous TT, and I woud gladly pay whatever the difference was. They agreed. It was 65.00. The jack was not in stock, so they would ship it to me. They installed a manual jack to get me home. 3 days later I arrive home. The Atwood arrived about 6 hours later.

Does the manual crank on yours hit the propane tanks?( how the jack is rotated makes no difference, it is the swing of the crank that is the problem) It did on mine when it failed. That is how I found out about the propane tank interference, and why they used a floor jack. The manual crank was going to take a really long time.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Back to jacks. The Ultra-Fab that came on ours was fine until I bought a new truck. The tailgate would not go all the way down, so I rotated it. Problem solved. The light on this unit was useless as it was mounted on the side and really didnโ€™t illuminate very well, anyway. Now, itโ€™s on the front, but still doesnโ€™t have any real usefulness. If I have to hitch/unhitch in the dark, I wear a headlight.
Also, the manual crank is on the top of the motor, so rotating it didnโ€™t affect that function.
I also always have a cover over the head. It didnโ€™t occur to me about accidentally turning the light on. I think Iโ€™m just going to remove the bulb and be done with it. Thanks, HDog, for mentioning that.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
The best frames I've personally seen was under New Horizon and the defunct Excel RV'S. Nuwa's with young's welding were top notch as well but defunct as well.
I agree about new Horizons frames.
Also DRV is good

But those units cost 150-250K.

Which validates my point. Cost is the factor that drives RV manufacturers to specify marginal frames.

It is not a Lippert issue, as my TT is proof that they can build a stout frame.....If the manufacturer is willing to pay for it.

Unfortunantly, many are not, as most consumers do not give the frames any thought at all when shopping.
And since Lippert supplies most of the industry, they are blamed a lot.

In reality, the consumers should look in the mirror. They are the ones with the money, and so long as they do not demand better frames, and are willing to pay the increased cost.... They will get what they pay for.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The best frames I've personally seen was under New Horizon and the defunct Excel RV'S. Nuwa's with young's welding were top notch as well but defunct as well.