Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tongue Jack Needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Tongue Jack Needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

Back to jacks. The Ultra-Fab that came on ours was fine until I bought a new truck. The tailgate would not go all the way down, so I rotated it. Problem solved. The light on this unit was useless as it was mounted on the side and really didn’t illuminate very well, anyway. Now, it’s on the front, but still doesn’t have any real usefulness. If I have to hitch/unhitch in the dark, I wear a headlight.
Also, the manual crank is on the top of the motor, so rotating it didn’t affect that function.
I also always have a cover over the head. It didn’t occur to me about accidentally turning the light on. I think I’m just going to remove the bulb and be done with it. Thanks, HDog, for mentioning that.
I owned a Ultrafab once for about 20 minutes.
It was on my new TT when I picked it up back in 2009. I traveled from Phoenix AZ to Sylvania Ohio to buy it. Upon arriving, the dealer informed me that the light swith on the Ultrafab was broken. A new switch was ordered, but would not arrive in time, as we had to head home the next day. I agreed that they could mail it to me, and I would install it. Upon hitching up, the UF locked up in the extended position on the way down. The dealer got a floor jack and removed the UF. I then told them that I had lost faith in that brand of jack, and wanted an Atwood like I had on my previous TT, and I woud gladly pay whatever the difference was. They agreed. It was 65.00. The jack was not in stock, so they would ship it to me. They installed a manual jack to get me home. 3 days later I arrive home. The Atwood arrived about 6 hours later.

Does the manual crank on yours hit the propane tanks?( how the jack is rotated makes no difference, it is the swing of the crank that is the problem) It did on mine when it failed. That is how I found out about the propane tank interference, and why they used a floor jack. The manual crank was going to take a really long time.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not manually cranked mine, but I did find out how to do it. There is a plug on top of the motor with a 9/16 nut under the plug. At least, I think that’s the size as it’s been over 4 years. Anyhow, the top of the jack is about even with the propane tank cover, so I don’t think it will be a problem.
If this one goes kaput, I’ll just have to research and decide.
Also, like you,I have no quarrel with Lippert. Skyline seems to have ordered better frames as mine is not welded, but is an 8” one piece I-beam.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krobbe wrote:

I bought a Husky Brute 4500 many years ago. I would buy it again only this time with a remote to drop it on the ball without getting out of the tow vehicle. It raises my 1200lbs of tongue weight plus the rear of my Burb quickly and easily. Link

My next one will have a remote. Between that and the backup camera, it should make hook up alone a breeze.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

From what I read here, and my experience, you will have the Atwood forever. Noise is the only complaint. There are many issues with the side motor mounted Jacks, and some cause them to fail. The Atwood is a top motor jack, and is the only one like it on the market.

Atwood has been bought by Lippert, another good one bites the dust.

Lippert's a huge company. Everything they make/sell/distribute TODAY is junk?

From what I've read on this forum they got the bad reputation from some bad/defective/dangerous trailer frames around 10 or 15 years ago.

Like I said in my prior post, my tongue jack is an Atwood. It came with the trailer. It works. Atwood could be a terrible company for all I know. Maybe they're owned by Lippert now?

Lippert owns a lot of companies.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

I have not manually cranked mine, but I did find out how to do it. There is a plug on top of the motor with a 9/16 nut under the plug. At least, I think that’s the size as it’s been over 4 years. Anyhow, the top of the jack is about even with the propane tank cover, so I don’t think it will be a problem.
Also, like you,I have no quarrel with Lippert. Skyline seems to have ordered better frames as mine is not welded, but is an 8” one piece I-beam.
My Lippert frame is a real I beam as well. A 10" I beam 1/4" thick with 2-3/4" flanges.

Sabre spent some money on that frame.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

My Lippert frame is a real I beam as well. A 10" I beam 1/4" thick with 2-3/4" flanges.

Sabre spent some money on that frame.

We definitely need a like button.

kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how is this one? Atwood

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kearlms wrote:

So how is this one? Atwood

I've got the older version of that one and it's been fine for about 6 years. Zero problems. Can't comment on the new ones though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Tongue Jack Needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.