Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How do you get to your spare tire with the camper on?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How do you get to your spare tire with the camper on?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll have to lift my camper and pull my truck forward for sure.

I'm not going to worry or waste my time trying to address a problem that will most likely never happen.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I'll have to lift my camper and pull my truck forward for sure.

I'm not going to worry or waste my time trying to address a problem that will most likely never happen.

^This. (I can reach mine because the camper doesn't drop down behind the truck bed), but if you're (the OP) worried about having so many flats that raising / unloading the camper is prohibitive, address that problem first.
Agree, some folks have worse "luck" than others with tires, but if you're that person, make sure your bad luck isn't partially self inflicted.

Otherwise rotate the crank to the wheel well if possible.
If using the OE Jack from the truck, I'd prefer having the camper off if changing a back tire anyways. Bottle jack or front tire, differnet story.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Pat wrote:

cavie wrote:

Jay Pat wrote:

If you are in a parking lot, turn your pickup the best way so you can the tool in the hole and crank.

If not, you may have to disconnect the truck.

I do believe the op is talking about a truck camper as that is the forum he is on. I could be wrong.

Oops, I understand that now....
Pat

Sorry Op no suggestions here.

To cavie and Jay Pat,
While true it is in the truck camper forum, I appreciate the suggestion. My new to me Suburban has the crank hole in the rear bumper and now I know what to try if I get a flat with trailer in tow.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haven't ever had a flat, but it's easy to get to

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved the spare to the front of our 2015 Ram 3500. This was accomplished by mounting a receiver hitch and receiver mounted tire carrier. The benefits are two fold: 1. The spare is easy to get to. 2. It effectively took 175lbs of the rear axle.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use the rods that came with the truck and a twelve inch crescent wrench clears my camper. I also carry a 20 ton bottle jack as I'm not sure I would like to use the stock jack without the camper. The fun part is dragging the heavy tire from under the truck. I try to drop it on a tarp and than drag the hold thing out.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 28" SuperTruss, I was still able to reach the spare using the crank and extension that came with my Ford without any modifications. My Ram carries the spare on top of a 42" SuperTruss and is secured by four bolts. I found once the tire is dropped to the ground, it is easier to pull the truck forward rather than trying to reach underneath and drag the tire out. I also carry a heavier bottle jack that has no trouble lifting the truck with the the camper loaded.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwlyon wrote:

I moved the spare to the front of our 2015 Ram 3500. This was accomplished by mounting a receiver hitch and receiver mounted tire carrier. The benefits are two fold: 1. The spare is easy to get to. 2. It effectively took 175lbs of the rear axle.

That is a heavy wheel. My 18" aluminum rims with tires were under just under 100 lbs each and my 19.5's on aluminum were just over 125 lbs.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to consider if you have a dually is: can you get the center cap off to access the lug nuts on the rear wheels? I had to throw an extra tool in the truck for mine.

It’s a good idea to go through the motions of changing a tire at home once just to make sure you can do it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you consider removing the spare from behind the rear axle then adding it to in front of the front axle the affect can easily be 175# . It doesn't mean the spare weighs that much.

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How do you get to your spare tire with the camper on?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.