cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti siphon valve for black tank flush

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
2012 FR Surveyor SV264RK. Can't seem to locate anti-siphon valve for black tank flush. I know what it looks like but it is not under sink in bathroom. When I use BT Flush I get water running from bottom of trailer. Guessing it comes from valve but since chlorplast(?) is in place I can't see anything from bottom. Any ideas where it could be located? No evidence of leakage inside trailer.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
21 REPLIES 21

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
A member here showed that low water pressure can cause them to leak.

Any chance you're using a pressure regulator or the hose is prone to being kinked?

Maybe a big strong blast of high pressure water could make it seal again.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
OP asked about anti-siphon for black water flush. This is also known as a backflow
preventer. It is in-line with the flush line.
It is not an air gap. The tank is vented through the roof.

The 90 degree black tank flush anti siphon valves with a cap on top are air gaps as the cut away view shows. The brass one shown a few posts below is the same type. That is how they allow the water to drain from the flush lines. If no air vent, water cannot drain out of the lines. Mine cracked year ago and I removed it. And it looked exactly like the cut away view, with vent to atmosphere.

And yes, the tanks are vented.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RPBD or reduced pressure backflow device is what public buildings use to keep their water from returning into the city water. Also used in many medical/dental facilities on equipment to keep contaminated water at the source and not into the building.

I have/had as pictured atmospheric vacuum breakers that are designed as shown to keep water from returning from the tank to the public water supply. By design yes they will keep odors on the tank side. Not really designed for that but yes they will.

Mine started leaking so I removed BOTH and installed PVC fittings in their place. I have my waterline connected to the two flush lines at all times with a "Y" that has 1/4 turn valves. I open and close the valves as needed. I used the sprayer hose as the water supply, I never have to connect of disconnect anything when flushing. I have a timer on my phone set each time so I don't overfill the tank.

Technically this is not "LEGAL" but it sure works well. If I sell the RV the new owner will be informed to the condition so they can make an informed decision to return to stock or not.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
OP asked about anti-siphon for black water flush. This is also known as a backflow

They used to be a vacuum breaker but it looks like the newer ones are just a check valve. More cost cutting.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:

Yes, the tank is vented thru the roof. IF YOU REMOVE THE ANTISIPHON VALVE AND PLUMB STRAIGHT THRU(REMOVING THE VALVE) IT WILL VENT BACK THRU TO THE INLET FITTING. You will get Black tank odor in the Water Bay in transit. You can stop that by installing a screw on plug on the BT inlet fitting. Or, just install a standard City Water inlet with the built in check valve. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Thank you!

Tell you what, If you have the valve removed and have a pipe bypass, SMELL the entry fitting. OR, Overfill the Black tank and see what comes out the entry hose fitting. Yes, it prevents backfeeding to the city water system. But it also stops the odor. Doug

The anti siphon valve has an atmospheric vent that allows air to enter and water to drain out of the pipes when there is no water pressure. That is why they must me mounted high above the tank. Air is allowed to enter under the cap. That is why they are so prone to leak when they do not seal properly. If any odor was in the pipe, it would be released into the RV. More than one person with a leaky valve found there to be a bug had entered under the cap and the valve could not seal.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Thank you!

Tell you what, If you have the valve removed and have a pipe bypass, SMELL the entry fitting. OR, Overfill the Black tank and see what comes out the entry hose fitting. Yes, it prevents backfeeding to the city water system. But it also stops the odor. Doug

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'll follow line and keep looking. If it is in the wall I'll just quit using it and go back to pooh wand.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

They are installed to prevent holding tank ODOR from venting out the inlet fitting. Most BT flush inlets do NOT have a check valve like the City Water inlet because of the inside Check valve. If the OP's is NOT factory installed, then there is no upper Check Valve. The INLET and the inlet to the tank has a check valve, that comes with the aftermarket BT kit. Doug

They are check valves on the grey and black tank flush lines. They are there to keep contaminated water from siphoning into the public water supply.

Holding tanks vent thru the roof!

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
There are there for the same reason codes require anti siphon valves on outdoor water connections such as outdoor faucets and lawn sprinkler systems. There to prevent siphoning contaminated water back into the public water.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Behind Access panel to my shower valve is where mine WERE as in no longer there! Leakin SOBโ€™s are long gone with PVC fittings in their place.

They are installed to prevent holding tank ODOR from venting out the inlet fitting. Most BT flush inlets do NOT have a check valve like the City Water inlet because of the inside Check valve. If the OP's is NOT factory installed, then there is no upper Check Valve. The INLET and the inlet to the tank has a check valve, that comes with the aftermarket BT kit. Doug

They are check valves on the grey and black tank flush lines. They are there to keep contaminated water from siphoning into the public water supply.

Holding tanks vent thru the roof!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Behind Access panel to my shower valve is where mine WERE as in no longer there! Leakin SOBโ€™s are long gone with PVC fittings in their place.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III