cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator at High Altitude

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 3400 Inverter Generator. I plan on doing some boondocking above 5000 feet in elevation. Will I need to change the jet in the carb or just make an adjustment? Anyone with any experience?
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I re-jetted engines for 11,000 ft operation it did next to nothing. When .060" was shaved off of Onan flathead generators it restored significant power. A better-than-nothing comment.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Tom. Yeah rich, less oxygen at alt.
Lean on oxygen. Rich on fuel.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Jets are cheap. Get one to have, but try the generator first before making the change. A little extra fuel smell in the exhaust may be the only difference.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that your generator will work fine @ +-5000' MSL without changing the jet. However, you may experience a few anomalies over time. Using the low altitude jet at higher elevations WILL cause the air/fuel mixture to be rich of stoichiometric. That will cause the exhaust to contain excessive unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide and it may carbon up over time. The generator will use more fuel than necessary. You may also experience occasional spark plug fouling and the lubricating oil may become fuel saturated. If you change the jet, make sure you change it back if you descend in altitude and use the generator. If you don't and use the generator under higher/full load, the generator will now run lean causing excessive cylinder head/exhaust gas temperatures which may cause engine damage.

Chum lee

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somewhere in our Champion inverter genny manual it states that over 4K' a high elevation jet should be used, we live near 6K' and it ran just fine out of the box. Called Champion and they sent out a high elevation jet which I installed, could not tell the difference to tell the truth. You should be okay with the stock jet particularly if camping at elevation is not too frequent.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I live at 5,000 feet and the Generac works fine. At 10,000 feet it runs a little lean with the stock jets.
At higher altitude it would run rich. There is less oxygen to mix with the fuel.

Since the OP is only occasionally at high altitude, I would suggest not changing the jet.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. Will give it a try, and see what happens.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live at 5,000 feet and the Generac works fine. At 10,000 feet it runs a little lean with the stock jets.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I live at 6000 ft and I have a Champion 3500 I never changed the jet and mine will run my AC and I have never had an issue. I see no need to change it. JMHO
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
I had a Champion 3100 that I ran in CO at around 10,000'. It did just fine charging batteries, it even ran my friends Nuwave oven without issue. It ran on whatever jets were put in it from the factory.

Same here, do they jet them differently when being sold above 5,000 ft?
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Champion 3100 that I ran in CO at around 10,000'. It did just fine charging batteries, it even ran my friends Nuwave oven without issue. It ran on whatever jets were put in it from the factory.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CJM1973
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this:

http://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/9v2ag4ofvm-altitude-jet-installation-for-3-k-w-dual-fuel-inverters

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I can't speak to Champion, but the Yamaha 3000 can power the roof air at 6000 feet.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.