Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Preparing for isolation to avoid contact with Corona virus
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Preparing for isolation to avoid contact with Corona virus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess Florida was late to the isolation protocol. What do they care; they are all going someplace else in a few days.

Of course, I'm sure some of the tourists brought a "present" with them, and at least some of the Floridians received it. Bad situation all around. I'm afraid FL will do things to discourage visitors once it hits hard.

Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

egh33

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 86 and I just go on and live my life as I have always done.
When the good lord is ready for me it won't make much difference what else is going on.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egh33 wrote:

I'm 86 and I just go on and live my life as I have always done.
When the good lord is ready for me it won't make much difference what else is going on.

Think of others around you.

You to can be a 'carrier' and pass it on.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think of others around you.

You to can be a 'carrier' and pass it on.

Fizz, are you always this paranoid? I'm assuming you are not leaving your home and have it wrapped in plastic. Just like the vast majority of us egh33 is most likely at very low risk of having been exposed. There is some evidence of community transmission but the majority of cases are traceable to the risk factors. Just like you should always be doing, practice good hygiene. Keep your distance from others but by NOT trying to live as normal a life as possible we are accomplishing nothing but compromising are own mental health as well as tanking the economy even further. Before anyone starts on me I'm not advocating breaking the current set of rules. Go for a walk, get a drive-thru or take-out meal or something. Some stores are staying open with limited hours like Barnes and Noble. Life is too short. Don't die before it's necessary.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Just like the vast majority of us egh33 is most likely at very low risk of having been exposed. There is some evidence of community transmission but the majority of cases are traceable to the risk factors.

I found out last Tuesday, that Brevard County in FL, has NOT been testing for Covid-19. The had run SEVEN tests since the whole outbreak began. I had been lured into thinking we were doing pretty good, with our "zero" cases.

Meanwhile, Spring Break goes on - and the younguns are having a great time. Are they following guidelines about "social distancing"?? You KNOW the answer is a big fat NO. The beaches are still open - they closed the parking lots, though - starting tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm seeing posts of bars having concerts/dances, etc. I'm sure their parents will wonder how they caught the virus in an area with one reported case.....LOL!

I'm treating this area like it's radioactive :-)

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read take the cases that are reported and multiply it by 50. We're pretty much on shutdown in Ky and have been for over a week. Schools closed, Restaurants closed (take out or drive through only), courts closed, 1/2 state workers work from home, no person to person contact with state employees for drivers licenses and car tags, no gyms or hair salons, daycare's close tomorrow, with the exception of those caring for children of health care workers and first responders. Jails prisons and nursing homes are sealed. We had 9 new cases announced today. It should peak within a 2-3 weeks. Hopefully there will be hospital beds and ventilators for those who need them. I'm afraid Florida is going to get hammered. They're starting all this a lot later than we are.

The whole purpose of all this is to slow the rate of infection so that the hospitals aren't overwhelmed.

* This post was edited 03/18/20 05:30pm by jspringator *

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This explains our current situation.

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-19........h-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* Our elderly neighbor man hasn’t stopped going to his coffee group every morning. If he brings this home, I’m not sure his frail wife can endure it. Or him either.

* Another retired neighbor works part time in a facility with elderly people. On her days off, she’s never home. I fear she’ll infect the residents.

* The “rules” seem to be for the “other person - just not me” seems to be the attitude.

* We’re stocked pretty well but I’ll need produce eventually. I buy essentials on sale & usually have 60 days in the supply closet. We were about to leave on a trip so I had just refilled prescriptions - 90 days. Also had hand sanitizer & wipes to keep in the truck for our trip. I grew up on a Midwest farm & we were snowed in 17 days when I was growing up.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all this stay at home there will be another explosion in 9 months. LOL

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Once upon a time a virus like this would be contained locally till it died off or killed everybody in the village.
In today's world there are no borders or distances great enough to isolate yourself.
The Spanish Flu killed millions and that was before fast inter-continental travel.
I hope this is only a wake up call and we learn what we need to fight the next "big one"

Actually the "Spanish Flu" was spread mostly by the US Army. "Spanish Flu" more aptly should have been known as Fort Sill Flu. A recruit from, I believe Tenessee was the first known case. From Oklahoma it traveled with the troop to ports of embarkation in New Jersey and New York. It naturally became rampant in the marshalling yards in France, and when the troops hit the claustrophobic, filthy trenches,it became fully ensconced in the population.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Preparing for isolation to avoid contact with Corona virus
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.