cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Slide Truck Lean

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
I’m currently camper shopping and have enough truck for most of the campers I’m interested in. I read in several posts that guys have had trouble with the single slide campers leaning to the slide side when on the truck due to the extra weight of the slide. With aftermarket air bags it doesn’t seem to be an issue as one side can be pumped up a little more.

My concern is with my Ram 3500 with factory air leveling I can’t adjust each side independent of the other. Is this a major issue with all of the single slide campers or just certain ones?

Thanks,
Rick
2019 Ram 3500 CC/LB DRW 4WD factory air leveling
CTD HO Aisin/4:10 Max Tow package
2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package
38 REPLIES 38

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sure the slide mechanism itself is ok. I’m mostly concerned about a huge hole in the side, sealed by a rubber gasket.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
cost me about $10 to fill DEF for 5000 miles.
Sorry for those who can't afford it and breathe the gases.

Gloating and virtue-signaling all in one sentence. Impressive.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Soo happy with what I have. :B Its perfect for me.

My wants and needs are different than most. Its just me and I only use mine for camping and not much "traveling".

Before I bought my first camper I looked at two used Lance campers, the same camper, one with a slide and one without.

May sound dumb but I didn't like the added height and extra step up to the dinette and I didn't care for the added weight of the slide.

I've never cared for diesels. Never had a desire to own one.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Such a humanitarian, and so humble! :S

LOL Now that's funny. 🙂
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Such a humanitarian, and so humble! :S
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Errrrrrr......Crash!
Another thread off the rails!

To the original question, lean, no lean, it doesn’t matter. Either you want a slide or don’t.
What leads one to believe a non slide camper is inherently more balanced any way?
Couple hundred lbs. big deal. Do you add ballast when you don’t have a passenger in your car to balance it?

This is another non issue perpetuated into stupidity in this thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
That's why I'm keeping it simple

Me, too. Only a double slide with a diesel that doesn’t use DPF. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why those who complain about some extra work, still drive trucks, who always require humongous amount of maintenance and repairs

That's why I'm keeping it simple,no slide and I drive a low maintenance gas engine..Changing the oil and lube is about all it needs..6 quarts and a filter...Less than $30 on sale...I do it myself...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I never have done any restriction with using dinette. In/out, on truck/on jacks, wife sitting in, or wife walking outside.
When higher comfort always comes with price and maintenance requirements, I wonder why those who complain about some extra work, still drive trucks, who always require humongous amount of maintenance and repairs?
Shouldn't they be walking and sleeping in tents?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Is it recommended to use the dinette with the slide in on a truck camper?..I know on my old trailer they said no and don't even walk on it with the slide in..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
I'm not knocking slide outs just pointing out they have there issues for some..Added issues non slides don't...There popular because of the added room they give but that comes with a price like using them with the slide in or a quick potti break having to use the slide out to use the bathroom,winter weather with snow and ice on the slides and slide malfunctions that so many have...

Who wants to crank themselves to the bathroom..lol

There not for everyone is all in saying..

Not everyone needs to put the slide out to use the potty. We can also sleep with ours in for the snow and ice situations.

My cousin's non-slide had an "issue" with where to store the table when making the dinette into a bed due to space constraints.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not knocking slide outs just pointing out they have there issues for some..Added issues non slides don't...There popular because of the added room they give but that comes with a price like using them with the slide in or a quick potti break having to use the slide out to use the bathroom,winter weather with snow and ice on the slides and slide malfunctions that so many have...

Who wants to crank themselves to the bathroom..lol

There not for everyone is all in saying..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cute, but you can find problems with any type of TC on RV.NET including non-slide models.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member