cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Made back into the US without a passport!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a passport in my pocket.
Crossed into Algodones, had some dental work done. Stood in line to get back to the US customs office only to find that I had picked up DW's passport by accident.

Sweating bullets.
I explained to the customs officer that I have a passport but picked up the DW's by mistake.
I showed the officer my driver's licence.
And was asked if I have a passport. "Yes."
Officer: "Okay, go ahead. If you go back to Mexico just explain to the officer that you have a passport and show your ID."
!!!!

Apparently, this sort of thing happens to the customs office all the time.
. . .just another forgetful geezer. . .
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
9 REPLIES 9

Talleyho69
Legally, officially, you must have a passport or for ground crossing, a passport card.

Obviously at times, people make it through. Personally, I'd hate to be the one that decided, "not to bother with" taking my passport, only to find that returning to the US suddenly became very difficult.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know but I'm afraid that will be changing any day now. You might be able to just use your drivers license but the CBP officer may have to do more and thus waste your time, etc.

Good luck to all of you all who have to cross borders for the next few months.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
A friend goes back n forth into Mex and never bothers with a passport. Mex doesnt seem to car who comes in, and a US citizen is a citizen of the US , so he always got back in with just a DL

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian border not Mexican. 2002 perhaps, We crossed at the Su. Canadian Customs, a nice lady asked for my tag number. Didn't know it ,how many do. Got out to get it but fifth wheel prevented seeing it.
Got back and and told her. I don't remember handing her my drivers license or anything. She must have seen on a camera our plates on Fifth wheel. She rattled off who we were our address and other items. It caught us off guard wherever she got the info. She just waived through then.
So the Border Agents of all three countries, I think have access t everyone's id and data,I think.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You were fortunate.
They do go by how people look.
My brother has spent years traveling everywhere. He used to have long hair and a beard and did not look right to some border agents.
He has been strip searched multiple times in places like Bulgaria, and the Republic of the Congo.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
It was going to be 3hr of hassle taking you into a back room...interrogating you...and he already has the information he needs.

As someone mentioned, you didn't look like a problem so no reason to hassle you...but I certainly wouldn't plan on it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
And yet I had left a post-it note on their computer screen specifically directing them NOT to let you guys back in.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to me last year down here in Progreso also while having dental work done. Only I didn't have the wife's as a backup. I just showed him my driver's license and he ran it through the computer and said; "yep I see where you were just over here yesterday with your passport. Have a nice day."
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Plus you didn't look like a criminal, rebel or no good!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad