cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading head and bars only on EQ hitch?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I’m considering upgrading from our current 10k EQ hitch to the 12k version. Nothing is wrong with our current set-up, but a change in TV has me considering the upgrade.

I can upgrade the head and bars for half the cost of the entire system, and my other elements are all in solid shape. Anyone know if this would work?
11 REPLIES 11

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
...On another note, I've never heard of someone downsizing their tow vehicle so they are right at or near the limit of that rig's capabilities...
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Selling the individual parts you are replacing is viable, but most people will want the whole kit, or at lease the bars, the head and the shank.

Selling the head and bars might be a tough sell.

I'm just saying this because anything I don't need, I sell it on Craigslist or some other online market place.
Bob

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Glad to hear. They were very responsive to me a few years ago when I had some warranty issues on the square bar sockets.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see they have changed their ways since I traded up to my current trailer. I had to purchase an entire new hitch. They retain their value pretty well so it wasn't a total loss.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
They definitely sell individual parts, both through distributors and directly on their website. You could cobble together an entire system through individual pieces.

FWIW - Much to my surprise, they were actually very affirming of the idea. So long as the shank is sufficiently rated (which it is), there is no problem replacing just the head and the bars. Through Etrailer, the upgrade of the two parts runs $345, compared to nearly $745 for a full system.

Oddly, you can cobble all of the major elements together (shank, brackets, ball, head, bars and pry lever) for $635. What's left after that is hardware, which hardly makes up for the extra $110 for the 'complete' system. It all seems a bit backwards to me!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"They talked about integrity and liability of a pieced together unit."

Absolutely reasonable position.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I checked they did not sell individual parts. (Bars and head) It was all or nothing. They talked about integrity and liability of a pieced together unit. Won't hurt to call and ask.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I would call the manufacturer and ask them.

If your EQ is an actual Equal-i-zer the manufacturer is very responsive to questions.
Link

I will try, thanks. I highly suspect that I will get the, 'You should buy everything new' response, but we will see!

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
It will "work" but you choose the size of the bars by tongue weight, not the tow vehicle.

I understand, but we are right 'on the line.' We bought the hitch 10 years ago for a hybrid trailer with a much lighter tongue. When we upgraded trailers, 7.5 years ago, our tongue went to right around the 1,000 pound mark, but with an HD Suburban as a tow vehicle, the 1k bars gave me all the tension I ever needed to get it where I wanted it. Moving to an F150, we will be loading right at the truck's payload, and I might want/need a bit more tension to dial in the system.

I won't upgrade until I hook it up and test things out (hopefully in the next month or so, if the weather holds), but I'm considering options if I find they are needed.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would call the manufacturer and ask them.

If your EQ is an actual Equal-i-zer the manufacturer is very responsive to questions.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It will "work" but you choose the size of the bars by tongue weight, not the tow vehicle.