Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 3500 MPG test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ 1900 is based off the correct gear ratios and a 32" diameter tire for the Ram. 1670 is based off the correct gear ratios and a 31.5" tire diameter on the Ford. The calculated speed doesn't take anything into account for slippage or tire squat. If the calculation is off on one truck it should be off the same % for the other..... or is it possible your tac is off?

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"or is it possible your tac is off?"

WHATTTTT??? Something "OFF" on my truck???

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No thoughts on why the "TESTERS" didn't have Alt ride height set?

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine doing that for mileage checks.If the filler tube shows fuel after the 2nd hit the tank is full. Chevman

chevman
2021 Jayco Hawk 28RL
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

No thoughts on why the "TESTERS" didn't have Alt ride height set?

Like I said I didn't take anything into account for tire squat so if your truck tires squat 1/2 inch you'd be traveling 70 mph at 1975 rpm. The Ford with 1/2 of tire squat would be 1730 rpm @ 70 mph.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

I can't imagine doing that for mileage checks.If the filler tube shows fuel after the 2nd hit the tank is full. Chevman

What they are doing is NOT accurate. You can't see into these newer truck fill holes. There is a flapper down a bit.

They don't even stick the nozzle all the way into the hole all the time as this will make a difference when it shuts off.

YOUR truck I am sure you can look down into the hole and see the fuel just like my 98 and 01 RAM's are.

I can see the GM and Ford getting better mileage if their rpm's are lower than the RAM's at 70 as 4X said the Ford is.

Bottom line I sure would NOT buy a truck based on their VERY unreliable testing.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

What they are doing is NOT accurate. You can't see into these newer truck fill holes. There is a flapper down a bit.

They don't even stick the nozzle all the way into the hole all the time as this will make a difference when it shuts off.

YOUR truck I am sure you can look down into the hole and see the fuel just like my 98 and 01 RAM's are.

I can see the GM and Ford getting better mileage if their rpm's are lower than the RAM's at 70 as 4X said the Ford is.

Bottom line I sure would NOT buy a truck based on their VERY unreliable testing.

I agree. This test is not a sure thing, However, I would not ignore it either, I would either say "well I could care less whether I buy a Ford or Ram and if I get the Ford I might save $13000 on fuel over the next 10 years .... therefore I am buying the Ford." Alternately I could see saying "I really like the Ram air ride, the Cummins name and the Ram interior. It's not worth $13k though so I need to check into this mileage thing more closely before I'm going to buy a truck." But to say "I could care less what my truck gets for mileage" seems idiotic to me.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Ford would have been running about 1670 rpm and Ram about 1900. I'm going to need more convincing before I"m going to believe that the Ford gets that much better fuel economy than Ram just like I'm needing more convincing that the Ram exhaust brake is that much stronger than Ford's.

My tachometer says 2,000rpm at 70 so the Ford running 1,670 would for sure get better mileage. That much difference with the wind who knows, I doubt it.

Seriously these guys need to learn how to fill up a truck!!! To be "PRECISE" they could have a 5 gallon container filled and mark the tank where the 5 gallons comes to, fill truck tank with nozzle til it shuts off. Fill to the top with the 5. Empty the 5 into the chase truck or have a second tank empty and then fill it with 5g.

Now take the run come back to the same pump so the truck is setting the same. Have a container with exactly 5 gallons in it. Now fill the tank til it clicks, now pour from the 5 into the truck til it's FULL. Now fill the 5 that you just used back to it's full line using the same pump to determine exactly how much fuel is used.

I know this sounds complicated but in reality it is not and would give EXACT amount of fuel used.

Do the same with the DEF, it's simply stupid trying to get an accurate number with the DEF pumps.

In a diesel pickup when towing, the lower RPM doesn't mean better fuel mileage. My 08 Duramax would get much lower mpg at 1,700 rpms in 6th over 2,000 rpms in 5th when towing. Reason is at 1,700 it is lugging and dumping fuel to keep up. EGTs much higher as well at 1,700 rpms. (Assuming flat ground).

I do agree their tests are lame. They are also using the fast fill pumps which are not consistent and subject to the amount of foaming you get. I also complain that they need to get a banks idash to check to see if they are in Regen. They also need to do 3-4 runs in each to account for variations in the test.

I don't think the ram gets that much worse MPG as I don't believe the Ford gets that much better. All three used a ton of def.

They also should run miles and miles to see how often it regens, but I find they are too lazy to do any of those changes. Hell they can't even remember to bring their DB meter half the trips.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

I agree. This test is not a sure thing, However, I would not ignore it either, I would either say "well I could care less whether I buy a Ford or Ram and if I get the Ford I might save $13000 on fuel over the next 10 years .... therefore I am buying the Ford." Alternately I could see saying "I really like the Ram air ride, the Cummins name and the Ram interior. It's not worth $13k though so I need to check into this mileage thing more closely before I'm going to buy a truck." But to say "I could care less what my truck gets for mileage" seems idiotic to me.

I agree with 4x4ord. Mileage is one of many important factors for buying a certain pickup.

However, on the flip side, I do not put much weight in test that are not performed on the same day or in same conditions. Having towed for many years, I know that a windy day with a terrible headwind could make a significant difference versus a a tailwind or even not wind at all. In fact, it has made as much as a 3 mpg difference towing my trailer 160 miles down to the coast on a windy day versus a calm day. Heck, even the TFL guys have gotten completely different mpg numbers on different days with the exact same truck in the past. So you just got to take tests like these with a grain of salt.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Watched it.

They mentioned the ride quality of the other trucks but didn't say anything about the RAM??? It appeared they were getting jerked around less, thoughts?

When in the low MPG my computer is very close. I do believe it was getting 6.3mph. I DON'T believe the others MPG. 70 mph towing that weight that is reality. Now do the other two have RPM's less than 2k at 70??? If so that would help some. They mentioned wind, sorry YES even with that type of load the wind IS a factor. Did they have a tail wind with the others???

REALLY sad they did the tests on separate days. Wind and temps do make some difference.

NO I don't believe the DEF numbers either!

Did anyone notice the bone heads did NOT have ALT ride height set? 40" to the fender is HIGH. Mine sets at 38 3/4" in ALT ride.

[image]

When I watched all three. They all three were getting thrown around about equally. They didn't show much video inside the ram but you could easily see it bouncing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.