Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 3500 MPG test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ram 3500 MPG test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not saying it was not bouncing. It appeared less. Bottom line they start talking about it Nd never finished giving an opinion.

The dumb AZZ thing is they test these on different days.

I know first hand the difference in having the factory rear air loaded with 6k pin weight compared to another Ram without bags. Difference is more than noticeable.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?


That engine seems to get similar mileage to what the newer diesels are getting and there is much less to go wrong. Granted, there is less power but it would likely suffice for most people.

I plan on keeping my current truck until death do us part or we don't have a large fifth wheel any more, but if something were to happen to it such as it being stolen or written off, I would be giving the Ford 7.3L a very hard look.


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 03/04/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the new Ford diesel is getting better mileage than any other Ford diesel and quite possibly better than any of the 6.7 Cummins engines. I don't think the 7.3 will come close to the mileage of the diesels.


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?


That engine seems to get similar mileage to what the newer diesels are getting and there is much less to go wrong. Granted, there is less power but it would likely suffice for most people.

I plan on keeping my current truck until death do us part or we don't have a large fifth wheel any more, but if something were to happen to it such as it being stolen or written off, I would be giving the Ford 7.3L a very hard look.


No. They don't get similar mileage. At all. Lol this year was pulling 30k pounds.


2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?


That engine seems to get similar mileage to what the newer diesels are getting and there is much less to go wrong. Granted, there is less power but it would likely suffice for most people.

I plan on keeping my current truck until death do us part or we don't have a large fifth wheel any more, but if something were to happen to it such as it being stolen or written off, I would be giving the Ford 7.3L a very hard look.


No. They don't get similar mileage. At all. Lol this year was pulling 30k pounds.


Look back at the 16k towing test of the 7.3L; I don't think any of the new diesels would do all that much better on fuel economy pulling a similar load than it did. It's not like the 1990's when diesels were much better on fuel than their gas counterparts.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/04/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?


That engine seems to get similar mileage to what the newer diesels are getting and there is much less to go wrong. Granted, there is less power but it would likely suffice for most people.

I plan on keeping my current truck until death do us part or we don't have a large fifth wheel any more, but if something were to happen to it such as it being stolen or written off, I would be giving the Ford 7.3L a very hard look.


No. They don't get similar mileage. At all. Lol this year was pulling 30k pounds.


Look back at the 16k towing test of the 7.3L; I don't think any of the new diesels would do all that much better on fuel economy pulling a similar load than it did. It's not like the 1990's when diesels were much better on fuel than their gas counterparts.


30k is a lot different than 16k. The 90s? Other than 08-10 when diesels had Regen issues, they've still been significantly higher mpg. I can get 12 mpg with my 15k fifth wheel if I'm keeping it around 60. If gas is 10 mpg, that's 20%.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 03/05/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"or is it possible your tac is off?"

WHATTTTT??? Something "OFF" on my truck???

[image]


I checked my speedo against GPS and it is very close. The speedo is also very close to the calculation based on tire size and gear ratios disregarding anything for tire squat .... my tires have about 1/2 the tread depth of new.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My speedo is right on with GPS.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 03/05/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You better air up your tires then.... or replace them cause they're bald.[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time out I will take a pic of my phone with gps showing in dash pic. I’m sure you are correct per specs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ram 3500 MPG test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.