cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Relief Device

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Is it normal for pressure relief valve/device to release small amount of water periodically?
Esacnj
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Once tripped, they will often leak a bit. My trailer is an outdoor dog, so itโ€™s not a big deal. If you are anal, replace it โ€” and in due time, it too will dribble.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I have found over the years that IF they start leaking there usually are 2 ways to go ( in my eyes)
1- open and close the valve a few times, sometimes a small piece of debris will be stuck there allowing for a leak..
2- more likely you will have to replace the valve, which is quick, easy and painless.

Thatโ€™s the first thing I did, open and close. Mine had just got bad would not seal . Yes itโ€™s easy and inexpensive to replace . I didnโ€™t mess with mine much , just replaced it .

"We think too much alike!"

for the most part... Who knows, perhaps your my long lost brother from the other coast ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"1- open and close the valve a few times, sometimes a small piece of debris will be stuck there allowing for a leak."

We think too much alike!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
OUR suburban was doing the drip from the relief valve , did a complte flush ,no help, changed the thermostat , fifteen minute job , no more issues

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I will try to re establish air pocket.
Esacnj

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem with my Suburban WH and no procedure worked to fix it. There is nothing wrong with your valve most likely, it is a design issue with the water heater IMO. Suburban knows itโ€™s a problem, says so in their manual, and has no plans to correct this feature. I struggled with this issue for four years and finally took Suburbans work around their problem solution.The only solution is to install a small pressure tank inline with the water heater. The pressure created by the heating of the water is absorbed by the tank and not blown out the relief valve.

I never had this pressure relief issue with an Atwood in five other motorhomes.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

I have found over the years that IF they start leaking there usually are 2 ways to go ( in my eyes)
1- open and close the valve a few times, sometimes a small piece of debris will be stuck there allowing for a leak..
2- more likely you will have to replace the valve, which is quick, easy and painless.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
OP , there you go , plenty of answers , but yes they do get bad . Mine started dripping , replaced it , and no more dripping . As far as the air pocket and all that , never had those issues or had to do all that draining and whatever . All that has been mentioned could happen it sounds like . I just replaced it .

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The relief valve is doing its job and is functioning correctly. IT DOES NOT NEED REPLACING. As the water heats it expands. In the small RV system, there is little room for that expansion to be absorbed, so the water heater is supposed to have an air pocket that can be compressed by the expansion. Remember, air can be compressed, but water cannot. You can solve the leaking relief valve problem by doing three things: 1. install an expansion relief tank, 2. re-establish the air pocket in the water hater, or 3. merely open a hot water spigot (valve) in the RV.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago when we were back from the winter I removed the relief valve and soaked it in vinagar for 2 days. Looked new and no leaks. Had many old timers not know about the air chamber. Thermostat can make water too hot and valve will drop. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Open and close the relief handle a few times. Be careful with the hot water coming out. Quick bursts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor is correct about air pocket. Atwood seem to have this problem more than Suburban. No need to drain entire tank.

try this:
1. Turn off the water heater.
2. Turn off the cold water supply line.
3. Open a faucet in the RV.
4. Pull out the handle of the pressure relief (P&T) valve and allow water to flow from the valve until it stops.
5. Release the handle on the P&T valve - it should snap closed.
6. Close the faucet and turn on the cold water supply. As the tank fills, the air pocket will develop. Repeat this procedure as often as needed to reduce the frequency of the weeping P&T valve.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand