Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Thanks..and a Slide Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thanks..and a Slide Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I want to say THANKS for all of the help this newbie has been getting with all of my questions on buying a truck camper.

My question this time is on slides. Can anyone who has gone from a slide to no slide comment on slide vs. no slide? I really like the Northern Lite but they don't have a slide so I'm a little hesitant to go there. They do a pretty good job of making them look roomy so it is tempting. From what I can tell the quality is top notch for a truck camper.

My use will be mainly my wife and I flitting around staying a couple days here and a couple days there and taking some motorcycle rides. I'll be pulling a 6x10 trailer with my bike in it. We may leave the trailer behind sometimes and do some boondocking. The only thing that bugs me about the NL is the small FW tank (35 gal). All comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

* This post was edited 03/04/20 03:24pm by Riley01 *

2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry a couple of jerry cans with fresh water in the trailer and either dump or pump them in your tank when needed.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slide question is really about two things: extra space (only you can decide if you need it) and the additional weight/cost of the rig due to the slide.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha! Glad it was informational.
Slide vs no slide, for only 2 people, IMO, is personal preference. But moreso, if outdoors people and mostly good weather camping, shorter trips, the additional room of a slide out on a med size camper vs no slide is not a big deal.
For us, with a family of 4, or friends in and out of the camper, a slide out at least makes the space a bit more inhabitable and roomy.
That said, I like the room of a slideout even when I stay in it by myself.

Bigger deal for me is tank capacity and fridge size. Alot of our trips are boon docking and the convenience of more water and more cold/freezer storage is a benefit. You don't feel like your "camping" out of a cooler where everything is rationed or metered to have enough room for enough food and drinks for everyone for X number of days. Big fridge and ample storage, combined with an extra 50 gal fat sac full of water in the pickup back seat and full fresh water tank, 4 of us can go get lost for a week and not run short on good food, drinks and showers. Showers might get scarce, but with the 50gal water bladder, there is usually somewhere to top off water somehow nearby.
Once, we didn't want to leave, out of the 100 gal of water brought in, I backed the truck down to the (clear cold) river, used my ballast pump to fill the sac. Drove it back up to the camper, filled the camper tank and we were good for a couple/three more days of luxurious truck camping! Just didn't drink the water out of the tap from that batch....just in case.

IMO coming from mostly tent camping all my life, I can easily put up with a little more weight on the back of the truck for more luxury while "roughing it." Besides, it's not like I have to carry the extra weight of a slide out camper...the truck does and it doesn't care!

Only downside was winter camping. We weren't overly prepared, and new to the camper thing, and leaving the slide out in temps that dipped down to single digits at night used ALOT of propane and battery juice.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had both slide and non-slide TC’s. If it was just myself I could get along without the slide but my wife and I like our AF 990. The slide makes it nice and roomy and when we are in one place for a few days the extra room is nice.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One person can get along just fine without a slide. Two will bump into each other more without one.

Camper8251

Big Sky Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are just sleeping in it.. Then it would be ok, but wait till those couple of days when its raining cats and dogs and you are stuck in the camper together..

It will get cramped real quick... IMO

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even I've been RVing for over 30 years, I never looked at TC till I saw 1 with a slide and remote -controlled jacks.

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go look at both. I recently went to an RV dealer who had Lance, AF and Bigfoot on the lot. The space with the slideouts is so much more comfortable. As much as I like the outdoors, I do end up spending a lot of time inside my RVs be it because of weather, cooking or just reading on my laptop. I will be buying a heavy camper with a slide as a result. Further, there is no place for my dog on the floor of a Northern Lite or Bigfoot. She would be miserable.

I'd add that if you're just going to be a weekend warrior during the summer, never using the camper in the winter or inclement weather, then perhaps a non-slide would be just fine because your outdoor space is as big and comfy as you want it. But if you're going to be full-timing or something approaching that, I think the bigger the better.

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 03:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As being fortunate to have an S85RS Ascent by Chalet with a slide, but is fully functional with the slide in here is my take. When we are just rolling down the road and moving every day we tend to leave the slide in. Then when we unload the camper and stay camped at a site for 2 nights or more we move the slide out. The extra room is nice. So my advise is if you are a type of person who likes to stay put for a few days get a camper with a slide. On the other hand, if you are always on the move a non slider will probably suffice. What would be great is if someone would build a camper that would be fully usable with the slide in or out would be awesome.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thanks..and a Slide Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.