cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fish Chowder

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
This is long but worth the time. I recommend the raw sea food mix and frozen shrimp. The final product freezes well for camping.

Fish Chowder

1 ½ pounds of catfish or tilapia or cod (no salmon) or 2lb frozen raw seafood mix
1 ½ pounds of shrimp raw, peeled and divined or 1lb frozen cocktail shrimp tail removed
2 cups of red potatoes ,peeled, medium chop
1 cup celery chopped medium fine
1 cup carrots medium fine chopped
½ cup parsley chopped fine
1 large onion medium/ fine chopped
2 cubic inches of salt pork sliced into thin small squares.
4 Tbs butter
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
2 Tbs olive oil

Cut fish and shrimp into about one inch cubes. I have used small raw small shrimp whole.

Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté salt pork for a bit and add onions.
Add a bit of salt & pepper.
Sauté till onions are translucent. Reserve everything from the pan in a bowl.

Fill a 6 Quart pot with; potatoes, celery, carrots and parsley.
Plus more salt and pepper to taste. Add water to the pot to cover everything. Then add the reserved salt pork and onions. Bring to a boil. Then turn down heat to a simmer and cover the pot.

Melt the butter in a medium heat pan and add flour. Mix completely and then turn down the heat and add the milk, stirring to make a rue.

When the potatoes are 3/4 cooked, add the rue and stir it in well. Adjust salt and pepper and cover the pot.

When the potatoes are almost fork tender, add the fish. Cover the pot and simmer for five minutes. Adjust salt and pepper and add shrimp and simmer covered for five minutes.

This makes maybe three quarts of chowder. It freezes well. Great with fresh corn bread as a meal.

The more shrimp the better. Tilapia worked well. Catfish chunks are better & cheaper.
I substituted two Aldi one lb. bags of their frozen “Fremont seafood mix” that is now in stock and added a pound of frozen cocktail shrimp cut into thirds. All the sea food went in frozen so I had to bring it all back to a boil for two minutes then simmer.
This is a Civil War field cook book recipe with shrimp I added. I removed 3 eggs from rue.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD
7 REPLIES 7

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Deb, glad you enjoyed the recipe. It sounds like a long process but really it is not I think. I do carry a frozen container in my camper when I want comfort food quick. I find any good bread works fine as a side dish.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
AJR wrote:
This is long but worth the time. I recommend the raw sea food mix and frozen shrimp. The final product freezes well for camping.

Fish Chowder

1 ½ pounds of catfish or tilapia or cod (no salmon) or 2lb frozen raw seafood mix
1 ½ pounds of shrimp raw, peeled and divined or 1lb frozen cocktail shrimp tail removed
2 cups of red potatoes ,peeled, medium chop
1 cup celery chopped medium fine
1 cup carrots medium fine chopped
½ cup parsley chopped fine
1 large onion medium/ fine chopped
2 cubic inches of salt pork sliced into thin small squares.
4 Tbs butter
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
2 Tbs olive oil

Cut fish and shrimp into about one inch cubes. I have used small raw small shrimp whole.

Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté salt pork for a bit and add onions.
Add a bit of salt & pepper.
Sauté till onions are translucent. Reserve everything from the pan in a bowl.

Fill a 6 Quart pot with; potatoes, celery, carrots and parsley.
Plus more salt and pepper to taste. Add water to the pot to cover everything. Then add the reserved salt pork and onions. Bring to a boil. Then turn down heat to a simmer and cover the pot.

Melt the butter in a medium heat pan and add flour. Mix completely and then turn down the heat and add the milk, stirring to make a rue.

When the potatoes are 3/4 cooked, add the rue and stir it in well. Adjust salt and pepper and cover the pot.

When the potatoes are almost fork tender, add the fish. Cover the pot and simmer for five minutes. Adjust salt and pepper and add shrimp and simmer covered for five minutes.

This makes maybe three quarts of chowder. It freezes well. Great with fresh corn bread as a meal.

The more shrimp the better. Tilapia worked well. Catfish chunks are better & cheaper.
I substituted two Aldi one lb. bags of their frozen “Fremont seafood mix” that is now in stock and added a pound of frozen cocktail shrimp cut into thirds. All the sea food went in frozen so I had to bring it all back to a boil for two minutes then simmer.
This is a Civil War field cook book recipe with shrimp I added. I removed 3 eggs from rue.

This was so good and easy to make. I used frozen raw seafood mix and shrimp. Otherwise followed recipe. It was great and AJR was right that it froze perfectly and tasted just as good when we had it again. Thanks. Deb
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
My father made a fish stew.

Simpler, but very yummy

Bacon sliced into 1/4" wide pieces. Brown that
Dice onion to taste and add
2 lb. haddock, diced in 1/2" pieces.
1 cup diced potatoes.
Add fish, cover with water.
Dice celery to taste and add. This makes the stew be sure not to be boiling.
Stir in milk. 2 cups whole milk. Keep at low temperature for a good 20 miniutes.

Actually, I find a day in the fridge enhances the flavour. Above quantities will make 4 servings.

:B

This is pretty close to mine. I do use shrimp, clams or scallops instead of fish. I also add about 1 1/2 Tbsp of real butter.
Cook on low and add the shellfish last. If I don’t have whole milk I use evaporated whole milk.

I am allergic to scallops. 😞
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Little Kopit wrote:

Simpler, but very yummy

1 cup diced potatoes.
Stir in milk. 2 cups whole milk. Keep at low temperature for a good 20 miniutes.

Actually, I find a day in the fridge enhances the flavour. Above quantities will make 4 servings.

This is pretty close to mine. I do use shrimp, clams or scallops instead of fish. I also add about 1 1/2 Tbsp of real butter.
Cook on low and add the shellfish last. If I don’t have whole milk I use evaporated whole milk.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
MMMmmm. Anything with seafood is welcome here!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer

Simpler, but very yummy

1 cup diced potatoes.

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad