Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tie downs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie downs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
epcolumbus

Northbrige, MA United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new to truck campers. Looking at used ones. Can I safely mount a 1000 lb camper on my Ram 1500 short bed using heavy duty ratchet straps and the factory tie downs in the bed. Looking for opinions.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the tie downs that bolt to the frame. buy them once.
Use turnbuckles or their equivalent.
Forget about straps.

* This post was edited 03/05/20 08:40am by ppine *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it works dimensionally, IE, the camper tie downs are inside the bed rails of the truck, then I'd do it. Still gotta make sure the tie downs are angled properly fore and aft to keep the camper pulled slightly forward.

1000lbs is not much of a camper, are you certain on the weight? Even most of the pop ups loaded with gear are close to or twice that weight.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Camper8251

Big Sky Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seriously? Spend the money and do the right thing.........

How are you gonna feel when you kill some family?

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am far from an expert, but I have not seen slide in campers being just a 1000lbs, even popup seem to be more than 1000lbs. When I was looking for a used camper I looked at many many campers and anything lighter, such as a popup were non existent in the used camper market in my area. Are you looking for something with a bathroom, kitchen area, how will you use the camper?

Even a 1000lbs camper probably would require and for safety reason need to have actual tie downs, I have seen where some guys use ratchet straps for temporary measures, as in getting it home or something along those lines.

Finally, Id go at this cautiously having weight limits and the handling limits in mind in what ever your needs and wants are in your camper choice.

epcolumbus

Northbrige, MA United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seriously, I am asking because I want to know "What the right" thing is. Instead of being bashed, I was hoping to get some answers. I have never done this before and want to do it right! Helpful info wanted. The camper I saw was just over 1000 lbs dry weight, It was made for a 1/4 ton truck like a Tacoma. Not looking at something with a bathroom, but possibly a small kitchen area. What kind of tie downs do you use? I was hoping this forum would be helpful to a newbie, but I seem to just get berated! How can I learn if I don't ask questions. I guess this may not be the place for me to learn!

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For back road slow travels to get a camper home ratchet straps can be a temporary solution if you are not traveling far.

The next step up is brophy turnbuckles, but still not a great option for newer trucks with light truck beds.

The best is either happyjac or torklift for safety.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

epcolumbus, at least you are asking questions which is a good thing. Welcome to the forum and there are some very knowledgeable folks here. Sometimes a little tack is good too...be safe!

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, recently added a 2016 Livin Lite 21RBS travel trailer. No Wood!No Rot!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

epcolumbus wrote:

I am new to truck campers. Looking at used ones. Can I safely mount a 1000 lb camper on my Ram 1500 short bed using heavy duty ratchet straps and the factory tie downs in the bed. Looking for opinions.

I have done that many times when buying a new truck camper to bring it home..I had a Lance 8.6 truck camper on a '76 Ford 3/4 ton and only used straps hooked to the frame and stake pocket because I did not have access to any other kind at the time..It worked well without issues even on mountain roads in Idaho..

Never an issue with this setup with straps only at the time..Just make sure you use good HD straps with a high rating..I would do it again if need be..

[image]

JMHO

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

epcolumbus wrote:

Seriously, I am asking because I want to know "What the right" thing is. Instead of being bashed, I was hoping to get some answers. I have never done this before and want to do it right! Helpful info wanted. The camper I saw was just over 1000 lbs dry weight, It was made for a 1/4 ton truck like a Tacoma. Not looking at something with a bathroom, but possibly a small kitchen area. What kind of tie downs do you use? I was hoping this forum would be helpful to a newbie, but I seem to just get berated! How can I learn if I don't ask questions. I guess this may not be the place for me to learn!

Sorry for some of the rude and uninformed replies..Some just have no idea and have never done anything like that..Some have..

As far as using straps,I am totally surprised someone hasn't came up with truck camper ratchet tie downs..There are recovery straps out there rated over 30,000 lbs and ratchet straps rated at 20,000 pounds and only 2" wide...Working loads over 5K on the little ones.More than enough for a truck camper like you asked about..

They give alittle unlike turnbuckles and chains,a good thing for a TC..And some of the colors are awesome..LOL..That's all the truckers use to tie down there very heavy loads of lumber etc..Been there done that..

Good luck with your new rig...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie downs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.