Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tie downs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie downs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What factory tie downs you are talking about? Can you post a picture?
Also what straps? They come in dozens different grades.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if this is 8 hours away make sure you get that tape measure out before you go. You need to measure the height of your bed side rails and also the height of your cap from the bed floor. Have the seller measure the camper for those areas so you know if it will fit. Many people have to build risers for their campers so they fit in the bed of the truck. You will also want to bring a board to put across the front of your bed for the camper bumpers push against the board and not damage your nice new bed. A rubber mat in the bed is also recommended by most to help keep the camper from sliding around. A plastic bed liner is NOT recommended by most.

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

epcolumbus wrote:

... snipped ... I am looking at a 2005 Sun-lite Skyhawk SB ... this model is 1035 lbs with the dry weight being roughly 930 lbs. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 short bed. I just want to know if I can use ratchet strap tie downs and the factory tie downs in the bed of the truck to get it home. It's about 8 hours away. I don't want to buy anything not really knowing exactly what will work best.

Don't blame you for not wanting to buy anything before you know what's what. It would be useful to post a picture of your truck bed's tie down points Being a Ford guy, I really don't have a sense of where or what you're looking at for tie downs "in the bed" of your truck. Also might be useful to see if you can get the specs on your truck's tie down ring capacities etc. That is part of this equation too.

What kind of roads are involved in the 8 hour drive home?

In the end, common sense and ingenuity can prevail. You can jury-rig something that is safe and will do the job for the 8 hour drive. Driving carefully and at a safe speed (say 50-55 mph unless you are on an Interstate and have to keep pace at 70 mph+) will add to the safety factor as well.

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

epcolumbus

Northbrige, MA United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been in touch with the seller and I think I got all the measurements and have done all the measuring I need. Here is a picture of the factory tie downs I was referring to.

[image]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was me doing it,I would get a rubber mat under it so it won't slide on the bed insert and run the front tie downs to the frame with a ratchet strap...The rear to the bumper..

I've done it that way countless times with larger campers than your buying..

JMHO

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those in bed eyes are not much of tie-downs.
Doubt you will have access to them once you load camper on. You need outside bed hooking points. If you have older truck and don't care about paint too much, you can hook up straps under the bed and put rubber mats between straps and paint.
Like those "friction mats" you put inside kitchen cabinets.
And if that is your truck on the picture- get rid of that slippery liner.

Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a one trip-get it home affair I think you could use straps and a bed mat for this light of a camper. The difficulty is getting the straps in place once the TC is loaded. Agree that the plastic liner is bogus. Most truck beds get scratched and damaged on the floor, not the sides. A bed mat from someplace like tractor supply will do the trick, less than a hundred bucks and you will keep it in the bed most of the time. Get a set of four ratchet straps from HF or HD and figure it out when you arrive. Find out what size the tie down opening is before you get there - the hooks in the straps need to fit or you will need to adapt with some kind of quick link. And get straps that are rated for decent weight, not for holding down a push mower. Pull the front straps opposite the rear and it won't shift much. Drive conservatively and like you are a truck driver with a heavy load and you will be okay. Drive like a crazed person and all bets are off. BTW, that applies to any TC situation. Make sure your tires are inflated to handle the weight.

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a thing.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a dang good picture of how I have done it many times...Front secured to the frame and rear to the bumper...With good straps,that's as secure as any setup with a tough bumper ...I think why we haven't seen straps made for truck camper tie downs is the weather factor in the straps degrading to the elements....

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

...I think why we haven't seen straps made for truck camper tie downs is the weather factor in the straps degrading to the elements....

Nylon doesn't like UV and most of us prefer to camp under sunshine.
Nylon straps also snap without warning, while steel usually bends before giving up.
Also fastguns have springs for front, what can't be done with straps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie downs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.