cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
30 REPLIES 30

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If electric vehicles don't go over with the public I can see GM being in financial trouble, my opinion only.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Even towing the max you will be over the speed limit in 10 seconds. The point is you will not use that much power continuously.

Climbing a steep grade, you can use a heck of a lot of power for a much longer period of time.

Even if it's only drawing 50% of max, that's still a lot of amps if they don't derate it after 10 sec.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
For how long?
You will exceed the speed limit in 5 seconds.

Pretty useless in the real world.

Then what? How long will you be able to draw 1000 amps from a battery dragging a trailer up a mountain? This is a TV forum after all.
Even towing the max you will be over the speed limit in 10 seconds. The point is you will not use that much power continuously.

I will wait for the TFL video on how Hummer performs towing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As the Missouri state motto, Show me. Otherwise without any real world towing data it's another useless vehicle.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
For how long?

Pretty useless in the real world.

Then what? How long will you be able to draw 1000 amps from a battery dragging a trailer up a mountain? This is a TV forum after all.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
For how long?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
wilber1 wrote:
For how long?

Likely for just a few seconds. The ridiculously high hp ratings are nothing but gimmicky bragging specs. I read a test on the Tesla Model S. In "Ludicrous" mode it would put down a blistering quarter-mile time, in the 11 second range IIRC. It took a 45 minute warmup for the battery, and after several 1/4 mile runs the car derated to about a high 15 second 1/4 time. Not bad, but with a $600 computer reflash my lowly turbo gas VW will run high 14s all day long.

I suspect the 1000 hp rating of the GM Hummer EV will be similar. First of all, with that kind of horsepower you will be doing triple digit speeds in a few seconds at full power. And assuming the Hummer has the 200KwH battery promised, that 1000 hp would completely deplete the battery in just 20 minutes, not factoring in losses for heat, etc. Having said that, the 200 KwH could theroretically produce 100 hp for close to 3 hours, making it an EV that could tow a decent size trailer with an acceptable range.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
1 HP = 750 watts. 1000 HP = 750,000 watts. What what will be the operating voltage of this thing? At 800V it will still be drawing almost 1000 amps. The wiring will weigh a ton. Will it need a trailer to carry the batteries?

A Tesla model S operates at 375 volts 416 hp which is 310 kw.

That calculates to 827 amps.

For how long?

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
1 HP = 750 watts. 1000 HP = 750,000 watts. What what will be the operating voltage of this thing? At 800V it will still be drawing almost 1000 amps. The wiring will weigh a ton. Will it need a trailer to carry the batteries?

A Tesla model S operates at 375 volts 416 hp which is 310 kw.

That calculates to 827 amps.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
azrving wrote:
Didnโ€™t think whole electric thing start because of global warming and resource depletion? How is this type of thing saving the planet? Not that I'm a global warming nut but wth. How would anyone associated with an RV be concerned about all this electric stuff anyway? Surely itโ€™s not out of a concern of resource depletion or GW. If anyone is worried about that skip the RV stuff and stay home. That would be much greener, right?

It does seem that the EV industry tends to lean toward development of expensive playthings rather than affordable, practical transportation.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect they are using some sort of a servo motor or a hybrid DC motor and they can have maximum torque at zero RPM. Many factory automation machines have those types of motors.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It will be interesting to see some real owners reporting back on how these electric trucks and SUV'S do in the real world of towing, especially distance such as a cross country trip.