cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White-Rogers thermostat issue.........WARNING!

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posted awhile back about thermostat issue in my C. They installed a White-Rogers unit that doesn't have a separate on/off switch...you just move dial to left down to 50 degrees and hear a small "click". Well, in January, with unit in the OFF position, temps went down into the 20's and guess what - furnace turned ON and used all my propane! Heard the blower motor whirling away and pulled the furnace fuse to shut it completely down. Took back to RV service and they weren't sure it was the wall unit. Next day they called and said they had 3 other clients call with the same situation using the same White-Rogers! Furnace was turned off but when temps went below the 50 degrees setting on unit, furnace came on! They replaced the thermostat with another brand. Just a FYI.
6 REPLIES 6

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose the good news is that your water lines didn't freeze.

Sounds like an engineer who didn't understand the requirements of the installation chose that one.

edbennett002
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, when winterizing, there should be a shutoff switch that cuts power to the entire unit during storage; its sometimes labeled "storage". I've had three MHs and all and this shut off switch. It disconnects your batteries. And, during winterizing, its my practice to turn the propane tank values closed.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to know , thank you for that info.

There is always a positive side of things, at least you don't have gas. :R

If you want to hit me you have to get in line. 🙂

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My C is a 2003 model. This was a new thermostat and it does have an "off" position to far left (no separate on/off button or switch like most have). The one they just replaced it with also doesn't have a separate on/off....just move temperature to far left until you hear a click. Fingers crossed this one actually KNOWS it's been turned off 🙂

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very unusual.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Was that original to the coach?
I've never seen a OEM stat you couldn't run off!