cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams at gas stations

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in Mexico for two weeks had two and have two attempts made by attendants to short change us. A Shell station on 57 way south of SLP took the 500 peso note, hid it and held up a 100 peso note. I dug in my heels and adamantly refused to give the guy more having been suckered 5 years ago outside of Acapulco. Now I make it a point to snap the bill, show it to the wife, and am sure of what I gave. He finally relented and gave me the proper change. Then, just west of Cancun I had another attempt - which may have been partially successful - which involved giving me a really old 100 peso note as change. Like I said they might have gotten something over on me - but I insisted on speaking with the boss - of course by that time the old 100 peso note changed into a good one before we got to the manager....
In both cases two attendants were involved. I think that in the future I'll try to run the second guy off before the scam gets too confusing.
I've driven/ridden in Mexico 20 years or 30,000 miles and this is unusual.
12 REPLIES 12

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chris: Almost every time an attendant will tell you the pump is zeroed and ask you to look at the pump. I have never gotten out of the car and yelled. I do look at my bills carefully and dont take off until he walks away or puts the bills in his pouch/pocket. I avoid stations where people have reported problems. I also ask for my fuel in Spanish. But if some loud Gringo greets the attendant rudely I think it would be a different story. Because I am travelling the same routes I fuel up at the same stations. But over the years I have had problems 3 times. Once was in 1985 in my Wife's van. We were at a large Pemex outside tepic. I was young and naive!They still had those pumps that could be rigged to keep the old total on the pump. He showed me the pump and the litres were way more than the capacity of the tank. I got nasty with him and gave him enough to cover the cost of what I estimated it would hold. I took off! Another time in HMO a guy tried the bill switch. I had counted my money that morning and knew exactly which bills I had. When he showed me the 50 peso note I did raise my voice. He insisted so I went and got the manager. I then got in my truck and took off. It seems the problems happen at stations on the highways where Gringos travel. But short fuel amounts still happen. El Imparcial does a story on this once in awhile.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some clarification is in order... I've traveled in Mexico for at least one month for 15 out of the last 21 years. I've bought hundreds if not thousands of gallons of gas and diesel while here.
These past two weeks - 2,000 miles I have been cheated (attempted) twice at gas stations. Prior to that - the last 14 trips I was cheated once. I'm no statistician, but this year's experience was in my opinion noteworthy.
I never forget that I am a visitor here. I tip gas station attendants, wait staff, bus boys fairly but not excessively - to do so I have heard lectures calls attention to my wealth. On a motorcycle I tip the gas station attendants 5 pesos. Wait staff 20% Bus boys 80-100 pesos for bringing our luggage to the room.
Personally I trust everyone I come in contact with until there is a reason not to. I endure Mexican motorists who show little regard for my safety as they see how close they can get to my legs on the motorcycle. That's taken some work, but I am able to take it in stride... so to speak.
I'm not sure who the post a few posts back was directed at - just in case it was my comment, here's something to put in your pipe and smoke.

Talleyho69
We agree. It is interesting that we have not purchased fuel in Mexico in many years without the attendant making a point of showing us that the pump was zeroed. Yes, it's possible probably to keep the pump going so that you can add to the total, but really??? Sounds like hard work.

Short changing? If we all paid cash for gas in our home countries, we'd probably run into it on a not irregular basis. Especially when full service is expected.

Our gas station experiences have been positive with a very very occasional glitch. Windshields washed, often all the rest of the windows, even in an RV, offers to check the fluids and tires.

Be sure to tip and be nice. We are visitors in Mexico.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I feel for all the good employees who have to be humiliated by having someone jump out of their car, check the pump, scream in their worst Spanish or best English how much they want, that the pump "must" be in zeros, and then have someone hovering over them while they are doing their best job. Then, after all that stress, someone doesn't trust you enough and they have to shake and wave 500 pesos bills in front of you as if you are some type of illiterate.

If you feel you have to do all of this, I wouldn't bother coming because it shows there is little or no respect for Mexican people who are trying to earn a living. If it's just the beaches you're after try someplace like the French Riviera.

JMHO
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
Periodically a credit card will be denied, and sometimes a card in an ATM will be too.

I did my homework and found that the issue is usually the lack of a good connection. It could be a phone line, an internet link, something that isn't just quite right. If all is not perfect, DENIED!!!! I'm glad that is the case, even though it can be very inconvenient.

Gas stations now, at least the ones we have been using for years either have a handheld device so your card never leaves your sight or a cashier window where you take it there yourself and watch them process it.

We just went through a series of ATM/Debit card hassles. His card is our backup, has never been used, lives in our safe. It got hacked. The replacement one too. The newest one is still in California waiting to come down with someone. So far, it's OK. Again, it's been explained to me that it usually is not where you used the card, but a method of creating numbers and using them. Who knows? His card had never been used.

The fees for credit card use vary greatly from bank to bank. If you do your homework, there are cards for both US and Canadians that have absolutely no charges. We even get 1.5% back on all purchases! The only charge we incur is the one charged by bank that owns the ATM. Our current favorite to use is INBURSA, their charge per use is 17.4 pesos.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I ask for a set number of pesos worth, say 500 and watch the pump.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
For many people using a CC is not a good option. For most Canadians you will be charged a % fee and maybe get a bad exchange rate. We never use our CC in Mexico. When buying fuel I ask for a specific litre amount. Pay cash but watch the attendant count the money.

Moisheh

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Also have to watch for cops trying to get "tips" there and further south in CA. I had a cop in CR stop me for not wearing a seat belt. We went back and forth for a while till he realized I was not going to budge, then waived me on. Many stories like that and the gas stations, bars etc.

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
I too was a victim of the bill swap and yes there was another person doing the windows as a distraction, I just happened to turn as the guy was pulling a 50 out of his shirt pocket to replace my 500, it was sorted out in my favor after a lot of verbiage. This was a few years ago but a friend just recently had a similar attempt made on him but managed to recover the correct amount of change.

I only recently started using my credit card and of course I have been quite careful but what I just realized that I was handing over my credit card to the attendant and he/she would take the card away to the machine. Not any more though, haven't been burned but could have.

What happens also as you spend more and more time in Mx. you become complacent which is not a good thing. After 15 +/- years I don't know how many times I have left a Pemex scratching my head and wondering what just happened here!

On my last fill up the 2 machines they had would not take my credit card which was in good standing and I had used at that station several times. Fortunately I had enough cash on hand to pay as I usually do. Don't know how that would work out in the boonies if a similar event took place and you don't have the backup cash or maybe a second card.

Talleyho69
Really glad you didn't let yourself be taken advantage of!

We use a credit card. Ours doesn't charge any foreign exchange fees and gives a percentage back, a win win situation.

There may still be a station or two way out in the boonies that doesn't have internet, but they should be few and far between.

Yes, we always keep the paperwork until we see it posted correctly at the bank.

IF the person pumping is honest, and especially if they do the windshield or make conversation, don't forget to tip. We usually do 10p for our car, 20 for the moho.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I always pay with debit cards, both American and Mexican. I ask for a ticket, not just the card slip that comes out of the handheld. Never an overcharge or issue.

The new Android Pay is being installed in Mexico and you simply put your phone up to the reader and the transaction takes place. I saw them in the stores in San Miguel de Allende last month.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog