Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Me Choose My Next Unit

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there!

It's been forever since I've been around. I used to have a Starcraft Hybrid, but sold it years ago.

Now, after taking care of my elderly parents, I finally have the opportunity to pick something up and try again.

I have an F-150 with a 5.4L available to tow or be towed. Edited to add: It has a 6-1/2 foot short bed, and currently has a full topper on the bed.

I am very active with hiking, biking, kayaking, skiing, among other things. No idea if I'll want to bring an ATV along.

My girlfriend and I did a day trip to Toroweep Overlook last December. Having the ability to do a camping trip like that appeals to me.

I work for myself and am thinking of hitting the road for the next year or so, and have my Phoenix based girlfriend join me when she's able. I don't think my three teenage boys will join me, but then again who knows?

The biggest question I'm trying to figure out is what's the best type of RV to go with?

-Class A and tow the truck (or buy a Jeep)
-Class C and try to tow the truck (or buy a Jeep)
-Travel trailer to pull with the truck.

What are the pros and cons that I should be considering?

EDITED TO ADD: If I go with a used Class A, here's one for sale in my area that would be an inexpensive way to test things out:

2000 Mountain Aire
2003 Ford F-150
2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK
20 REPLIES 20

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
It's waaaay past time for my to give an update.

I looked at Diesel Pushers, Class A, Class C, 5th Wheels, and Travel Trailers. I listened to my girlfriend, as well as everyone here who took the time to reply.

I ended up going with a 2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK. One Queen upfront, walk through bathroom, and kitchen and living space in the rear.

I have a lot to learn and relearn ... mostly trying to figure out the best way to travel light, and find a place for what I do need, PLUS ordering all the stuff I no longer have but *need*. My truck needed some work too, and I'll probably give it a suspension upgrade too, just for some added security.

I've been camping in it locally for almost two weeks and so far so good. The real test will be when I take it cross-country starting next week.

Thanks again everyone!
2003 Ford F-150

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What about a truck camper? At least with some, it may be possible to pull a utility trailer for ATVs, kayaks, etc. A truck camper allows you to get into more places than a trailer or a motorhome would reasonably allow (generally speaking, at least).

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I also would lean towards a travel trailer as you own the tow vehicle.

Now you can use the truck to haul the kayaks to the lake or river and exploration.

Wife and I do quite a bit of day trips after we setup camp and simply lock the trailer and go.

Good luck in your adventure.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A travel trailer is the obvious answer. Much less invested. You do not need to keep track of another drive train that sits around. Your TV is your trans when you get there.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
back from the dead?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jenwined
Explorer
Explorer
With just a TT and your truck, you have 1 engine to maintain and repair. With a Class A and a toad, you have 2 - add to that insurances and all that accompanies those engines. Class A is nice - it was our first RV, but it could be an expensive sandwich you want to make on the side of the road. ๐Ÿ™‚

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
If you purchase a Class A or Class C, make sure they can pull your truck or a Jeep. My Jeep is 4500 pounds empty weight and many of the class C's cannot pull it, even though they have 5,000 pounds hitches. To calculate how much an RV can tow:

GCWR - GVWR = how much you can tow
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Class A are very $$$ !

Class C is small, especially if your kids want to go. No simple storage for kayaks.

HUGE number of different travel trailers.

Try to rent one before you buy. I also usually recommend buying something less than 5 years old and maybe a bit smaller, use it for a couple of years and then decide what you want to buy.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you should rent something first? rvshare.com

Be careful though - most rental people won't have a weight distributing hitch for you to use, so go somewhere close.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
The simple answer is to buy a reasonably priced TT that your truck can comfortably handle. When you get to your destination, you park the trailer.

The other options take a lot more investment. Since you have been away from camping and the outdoors for awhile, try that first. There is no perfect RV. You can always upgrade later if are still gungho about it.

Thanks PPine. This logic makes sense.

One reason I'm thinking about a Class A is that I plan to be on the road for up to a year. I assume they are built sturdier and more 'home like' vs. a camper feeling of a travel trailer.

BTW: I'm very active and have been camping and outdoors every chance I get. Just haven't owned an RV/TT in a long time ๐Ÿ˜‰

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in!
2003 Ford F-150

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The simple answer is to buy a reasonably priced TT that your truck can comfortably handle. When you get to your destination, you park the trailer.

The other options take a lot more investment. Since you have been away from camping and the outdoors for awhile, try that first. There is no perfect RV. You can always upgrade later if are still gungho about it.

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
Id go travel trailer, used. you already have the tow vehicle and can spend less than half your budget and still have a nice rig. heck likely 25%. more time for adventures and the constant maintenance. plus no extra drive train to maintain.

Thanks Jebby!

This was my initial gut reaction, but since it's been 10 years since I've owned an RV, I realized I have so much to re-learn.

I appreciate your comments!
2003 Ford F-150

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Id go travel trailer, used. you already have the tow vehicle and can spend less than half your budget and still have a nice rig. heck likely 25%. more time for adventures and the constant maintenance. plus no extra drive train to maintain.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
GKAbbott wrote:
If I were travelling/camping alone, I would get an A Liner. Easily towed and set up by one person. Leaves room in truck bed for ATV or motorcycle.

I've had pop-ups, an A Liner, a 35 ft 5th wheel, and a couple of class C's.

It all boils down to personal preference.

That's an interesting option, and one I hadn't considered.

I once owned a 'full-sized' hybrid. While I loved it, I'm not sure I want something I have to set up. There's something to be said about making a mid-day stop and being able to use the kitchen.

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in! Thank you!
2003 Ford F-150