Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help Me Choose My Next Unit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help Me Choose My Next Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The simple answer is to buy a reasonably priced TT that your truck can comfortably handle. When you get to your destination, you park the trailer.

The other options take a lot more investment. Since you have been away from camping and the outdoors for awhile, try that first. There is no perfect RV. You can always upgrade later if are still gungho about it.

nalts

Twin Cities, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

The simple answer is to buy a reasonably priced TT that your truck can comfortably handle. When you get to your destination, you park the trailer.

The other options take a lot more investment. Since you have been away from camping and the outdoors for awhile, try that first. There is no perfect RV. You can always upgrade later if are still gungho about it.

Thanks PPine. This logic makes sense.

One reason I'm thinking about a Class A is that I plan to be on the road for up to a year. I assume they are built sturdier and more 'home like' vs. a camper feeling of a travel trailer.

BTW: I'm very active and have been camping and outdoors every chance I get. Just haven't owned an RV/TT in a long time [emoticon]

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in!

* This post was edited 03/06/20 11:07am by nalts *

"There are only two things you 'have to' do in life. You 'have to' die and you 'have to' live until you die. You make up all the rest."
- Marilyn Grey

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you should rent something first? rvshare.com

Be careful though - most rental people won't have a weight distributing hitch for you to use, so go somewhere close.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A are very $$$ !

Class C is small, especially if your kids want to go. No simple storage for kayaks.

HUGE number of different travel trailers.

Try to rent one before you buy. I also usually recommend buying something less than 5 years old and maybe a bit smaller, use it for a couple of years and then decide what you want to buy.

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you purchase a Class A or Class C, make sure they can pull your truck or a Jeep. My Jeep is 4500 pounds empty weight and many of the class C's cannot pull it, even though they have 5,000 pounds hitches. To calculate how much an RV can tow:

GCWR - GVWR = how much you can tow

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

jenwined

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With just a TT and your truck, you have 1 engine to maintain and repair. With a Class A and a toad, you have 2 - add to that insurances and all that accompanies those engines. Class A is nice - it was our first RV, but it could be an expensive sandwich you want to make on the side of the road. [emoticon]

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

back from the dead?

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A travel trailer is the obvious answer. Much less invested. You do not need to keep track of another drive train that sits around. Your TV is your trans when you get there.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also would lean towards a travel trailer as you own the tow vehicle.

Now you can use the truck to haul the kayaks to the lake or river and exploration.

Wife and I do quite a bit of day trips after we setup camp and simply lock the trailer and go.

Good luck in your adventure.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about a truck camper? At least with some, it may be possible to pull a utility trailer for ATVs, kayaks, etc. A truck camper allows you to get into more places than a trailer or a motorhome would reasonably allow (generally speaking, at least).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help Me Choose My Next Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.