cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coolant

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
Coolant maintenance for a 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder, CAT c12.

So the coolant is 7 years old with 11,000 miles on it. The color looks good the PH and SCA levels are good.

Question 1: Should I go ahead and do a flush and change out the coolant being it's 7 years old?

Question 2: Has anyone had any issue switching from the standard diesel coolant to extended life coolant? The service manger at my local CAT dealership suggested I keep with the standard in a older engine, said they have experienced problems when switching older engines over too the new extended life coolant. He said he didn't understand why but a few would develop leaks and had issue after a flush.
9 REPLIES 9

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you donโ€™t change a fluid when the manufacturer says to do so, you canโ€™t assure a buyer that you have done so. Smart buyers want to see the maintenance records.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the lab says it's good.. Keep testing at least every year till the lab says CHANGE IT.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure there is any statistical data on this, so go with what works for you.

As a side issue, wonder how many of those components that failed with the new coolant would have failed just the same with the original coolant or replacement with original type coolant. Cooling system components DO fail.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beaver Thunder wrote:
The service manger at my local CAT dealership suggested I keep with the standard in a older engine, said they have experienced problems when switching older engines over too the new extended life coolant. He said he didn't understand why but a few would develop leaks and had issue after a flush.

You either trust your local CAT dealer service manager or you don't.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

I would NOT change the type of coolant, only replace what's currently there. (because it was initially recommended by the manufacturer.

Case in point. Years ago I owned multiple German cars.
Chum lee

Not sure that experience is directly related to the Caterpillar C12 and Caterpillar ELC.

I have heard of no issues with ELC causing damage. Occasional dysfunction of Freightliner coolant level sensors-- yes.
Brett Wolfe

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Coolant maintenance for a 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder, CAT C12."

I would change the coolant because it is at the manufacturers recommended change interval. (time)

I would NOT change the type of coolant, only replace what's currently there. (because it was initially recommended by the manufacturer.

Case in point. Years ago I owned multiple German cars. I know they aren't the same as the vehicle referenced above. The manufacturer called for G11 (blue) coolant. (2 year change interval) I changed the coolant to G12 (red extended change interval OAT technology coolant) thinking I was doing the vehicle a favor. Within two days, my heater core began leaking. A very expensive repair. Within a week, my plastic end cap copper core radiator began leaking. Another very expensive repair. At the same time my water pump shaft seal began leaking. Coincidence, . . . . . maybe, but I think not. IMO, if it's working as is, don't fix/change it. Just do the manufacturers recommended maintenance.

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
7 years is 2X the recommended change interval for regular low silicate diesel coolant with SCA. If you are going to sell within a year, do nothing. If you are going to keep it, change it now.

I would flush, replace thermostats (called regulator by Caterpillar)as they recommend this as well and go back with Caterpillar ELC.

Cost is noise level compared with engine or radiator issues.

Been there, done that.
Brett Wolfe

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I switched my coolant to Cat ELC after flushing with distilled water. Zero problems.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would just leave it alone and run it. Why spend money when you don't have to??
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie