Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: SHANK question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> SHANK question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Simple fix, turn the jack head 90 degrees.
Maybe.

It depends where the interference is, and what jack he has.
In my case, I had an Atwood, it has a top mounted motor, so it doesn't cause clearance issues. The tailgate would hit the jack shaft. The only solution to that is a longer drawbar.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I could find a short drawbar like I had on a Quality S trunnion style WDH many years ago. The welded on head was right up against the receiver. It towed great with no sway control. Just the same, if you’re using a good hitch like a Reese dual cam or Equalizer 4 point, a longer shank shouldn’t be a problem.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4 66 miles
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 107k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basic physics will demonstrate that the farther the load is from the rear axle, the less desirable it is. One reason that fifth wheel trailers tow so well is that the "tongue weight" is right over the axle. Reese says to reduce ratings by fifty percent when using a eight inch extension. I relocated the jack four inches rearward in order to open the tailgate and not affect the leverage that the tongue weight has on the tow vehicle. Six inches may not seem like much, but to understand the forces involved,imagine moving it back six feet.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hesitant to add a longer lever connecting the TV to the TT.

There is a company making quick disconnect brackets for tongue jacks. I have the tailgate to jack interference. I'd strongly consider one if I camped more. Of course you'd have to add electrical quick disconnects for a power jack.
Www.jack-E-up.com

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just glad I re-read the topic...skank was my first read. LOL!

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, recently added a 2016 Livin Lite 21RBS travel trailer. No Wood!No Rot!

HawkTX

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

I am just glad I re-read the topic...skank was my first read. LOL!

LOL!!!!!

HawkTX

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After much deliberation I think I'm going to stay with my current shank. If opening the tailgate becomes an issue I will look at it again. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. Good feedback!

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

Basic physics will demonstrate that the farther the load is from the rear axle, the less desirable it is. One reason that fifth wheel trailers tow so well is that the "tongue weight" is right over the axle. Reese says to reduce ratings by fifty percent when using a eight inch extension. I relocated the jack four inches rearward in order to open the tailgate and not affect the leverage that the tongue weight has on the tow vehicle. Six inches may not seem like much, but to understand the forces involved,imagine moving it back six feet.

IMO there is a TON of BUM and/or misleading info in the above post and would strongly recommend for folks to basically ignore the entire post. That 50% reduction is for a receiver extension NOT A LONGER DRAWBAR. As Hunting mentioned having the dreawbar longer actual increasing the leverage that the WDH can exert which is just the opposite of what most are mistakenly assuming.

I have been using an 16/18 in drawbar for almost 40 years w/o any issues or lack of stability/ride quality. I have the longer draw bar so I can open the rear doors on my Van while hooked up.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

IMO there is a TON of BUM and/or misleading info in the above post and would strongly recommend for folks to basically ignore the entire post. That 50% reduction is for a receiver extension NOT A LONGER DRAWBAR. As Hunting mentioned having the dreawbar longer actual increasing the leverage that the WDH can exert which is just the opposite of what most are mistakenly assuming.

I have been using an 16/18 in drawbar for almost 40 years w/o any issues or lack of stability/ride quality. I have the longer draw bar so I can open the rear doors on my Van while hooked up.

Larry

I specifically said EXTENSION. If you don't understand engineering, don't read my stuff.

Pretty easy to fabricate a rearward jack mount for those of us capable of such things.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my 12" drawbar with an 18" for just the same reasons listed. I can now lower my tailgate without worry. I was able to notice some difference, but it was negligible. I can't tell anymore at all.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> SHANK question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.