Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM 400-mile battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 400-mile battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, Aluminum is lighter than cobalt so weight savings gained too plus the weight of so much added conventional wiring required and the needed mountings weights required!!! What's not to like???

Yes, it's patented and is controlled by the GM and LG partnership only.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Overall with GM's/LG's new discoveries and manufacturing methods greatly reduced costs etc, makes Tesla EV battery systems look like "Just Old School Technology"!!!

The jury is still a long ways out on where all this added demand on the grid system power is going to come from. Doubling or trippling+ the added load demand while not building nuke power plants and shutting down about all the coal power generating plants and only few new natural gas power plants as it sure won't be coming from solar and/or wind generating. That's been overwhelming acknowleged and so well documented! Dream on!!!

BTW, EV vehicles sold in the USA had only accounted for 1.4% or ~265,000 of 17 million road vehicles sold in 2019 not including heavy OTR large truck or 26,000+ GVW truck sales. Such a tiny fraction that it's truely insignificant to the factual total.

Just the facts people, just the real facts!

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Electric cars, trucks and motorhomes will be standard by 2030..

There is no chance that trucks and motorhomes will be standard by 2030. You would be lucky(and that's doubtful) if cars are all converted by that time. The infrastructure required to change every vehicle over to EV couldn't even be built in 10 years. Even if all the car manufacturers switched to making EVs, there wouldn't be enough electricity to recharge everything without building many nuclear plants. Everyone thinks wind and solar will save the day, but in reality, there has to be a gas or nuclear generating plant running behind the scene in case the wind stops, or the sun clouds over. You cant wait six hours while they get the boilers up to speed. They are always up to speed, even if the greener generators are working. Most top opinions state that a realistic number would be more like 20 % for wind and solar. If the greenies want to get rid of hydro dams, coal plants, gas plants, etc, I guess we better start tomorrow building more nuclear plants. Many top scientist say with new drilling technology, we could have 400 years of fossil fuels left. Im not saying lets not keep working on it, but I don't think trying to change everything is a very short period is necessary, or smart. Throwing the world into economic chaos trying to push this climate agenda is not going to help anyone. One step at a time.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please expand your readings to get updated.

Not a few of Tesla owners don't even tap into the grid when they get a solar package, roof or panels, when they bought their EV car.

Plus the convenience that their fuel is being delivered into their home every night.

And tell, those states who are planning of 100% renewables on electricity to early 2032 to latest 2050 that they can't do it and thus, not even dream.

Or for those who got millions, take Elon's bet that he can't do his promise to provide 100% solar power for electricity to the whole country if provided the land to build his solar panel arrays.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It truly amazes me how many people are against research into renewable energy. And instead prefer to repeat oil company propaganda designed to stifle alternative energy sources. The reality is we need to reduce our dependence on oil and increase research and development on renewable resources. That's where the world is going, America might as well be on the forefront of the technology.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Competition is good. I value range and economy over excessive power any day.

I understand we have plenty of electric power now if all new cars, trucks, RVs were EVs.
Really not a big deal.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

Can be made in 400 amp, 600 amp, 800 amp, etc capacity.

That still means nothing. The battery that starts my truck can put out 800 amps, but it probably can't propel my truck around the block. How long can this battery put out 800 amps, and at what voltage? That tells how much work the battery can actually do.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

That still means nothing. The battery that starts my truck can put out 800 amps, but it probably can't propel my truck around the block. How long can this battery put out 800 amps, and at what voltage? That tells how much work the battery can actually do.
You want kWh and I don't believe it has been published. Of course kWh is easily scalable by adding more cells.
Like asking how long is a rope.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

It truly amazes me how many people are against research into renewable energy. And instead prefer to repeat oil company propaganda designed to stifle alternative energy sources. The reality is we need to reduce our dependence on oil and increase research and development on renewable resources. That's where the world is going, America might as well be on the forefront of the technology.

No one is against research. When they are mandating that fossil fuels be seriously reduced without providing the replacement, how is that going to work. Pie in the sky solar and wind only work with a standard generator running full on in the background to account for spikes in the grid, wind slowing or clouds. If you have to run a back up generator, how is that helping anything. If the wind stops, and it gets dark, I guess we just shut everything down until morning. Get ready for lots more nuclear plants is all I can say.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

No one is against research. When they are mandating that fossil fuels be seriously reduced without providing the replacement, how is that going to work. Pie in the sky solar and wind only work with a standard generator running full on in the background to account for spikes in the grid, wind slowing or clouds. If you have to run a back up generator, how is that helping anything. If the wind stops, and it gets dark, I guess we just shut everything down until morning. Get ready for lots more nuclear plants is all I can say.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-big-battery-hornsdale-australia-cost-savings/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 400-mile battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.