Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM 400-mile battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 400-mile battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

It truly amazes me how many people are against research into renewable energy. And instead prefer to repeat oil company propaganda designed to stifle alternative energy sources. The reality is we need to reduce our dependence on oil and increase research and development on renewable resources. That's where the world is going, America might as well be on the forefront of the technology.

No one is against research. When they are mandating that fossil fuels be seriously reduced without providing the replacement, how is that going to work. Pie in the sky solar and wind only work with a standard generator running full on in the background to account for spikes in the grid, wind slowing or clouds. If you have to run a back up generator, how is that helping anything. If the wind stops, and it gets dark, I guess we just shut everything down until morning. Get ready for lots more nuclear plants is all I can say.

I agree on nuclear, we have better storage capabilities for the waste now and better technology to manage the mistakes that were made earlier. It's a stop gap until we find a better solution.

That being said, there's billions of dollars going into stifling research. The oil companies, instead of being on the leading edge of it, are trying to fight it as oil is more profitable now.

How solar and wind helping anything? Well the generator is running less, causing less fuel burn and less emissions. Pretty simple actually. See people install solar on their house, some months of the year they add to the grid and other months they still use the grid, either way less fuel is burned than without. It's basic math when you think about it.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

No one is against research. When they are mandating that fossil fuels be seriously reduced without providing the replacement, how is that going to work. Pie in the sky solar and wind only work with a standard generator running full on in the background to account for spikes in the grid, wind slowing or clouds. If you have to run a back up generator, how is that helping anything. If the wind stops, and it gets dark, I guess we just shut everything down until morning. Get ready for lots more nuclear plants is all I can say.

Mandating a switch to EVs is not going to be what drives that switch. When EVs become truly superior in every way to owning an ICE vehicle, cheaper, more reliable, and most importantly, more practical, than they will dominate the market and slowly ICE vehicles will become obsolete. And this will happen as sure as the ICE replaced the steam engine, although it's still years away.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I meant 400, 600, 800 kWh instead of just stating amps.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

ExxWhy

not here

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is my 100 mpg carburetor? Still being suppressed by big oil I guess.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExxWhy wrote:

Where is my 100 mpg carburetor? Still being suppressed by big oil I guess.

Right here
https://youtu.be/4XHbQLfgI6g

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it people do not understand the factual dynamics of providing electrical power in the USA???

Presently the nation's electrical power comes from these sources:

38% from natural gas
24% from coal
20% from nuclear
7% from hydro dams
6.5% from wind turbines
1.8% from solar

Scratch all fossil fuel use for generating electrical power? Lets see what that means?

Natural gas is from fossils and nuclear is slated to be gone too within 10 years, thus 38% plus 20% will be gone.
24% from coal and of course that will be gone too.
All diesel power generation will be gone too.

38 + 24 + 20 + diesel plants too = more than 82% of the USA power generation will not happen anymore.

Now the USA is just left with:

Hydro dams 7%
wind 6.5%
solar 1.8%

Just 15.3% of present power generation is left!

DREAM ON!!!

No reasonable solar energy is even capable within 40 degrees latitude from either Earth's pole towards the equator, under trees, limbs, and leaves, other than the max 8-10 hours of the daytime when the sun is not behind any clouds, fog, falling rain or snow or snow accumulation on the solar panels.

The wind must be blowing to turn the windmills or no power is generated. Add in that most areas have very low wind or calm winds during the nighttime hours so that sure doesn't help.

Maybe somebody has magic pills that create untold electrical power to save the day???

Tell me again where all the electrical power required today for the entire USA and then the 50+ million added vehicles that only can run on electricity are going to get all that electricity from??? I'm patiently waiting!!!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar and wind can be added faster than EVs are built.
Just sit back and relax. The transition will take a few years but is already in progress.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

Why is it people do not understand the factual dynamics of providing electrical power in the USA???

Presently the nation's electrical power comes from these sources:

38% from natural gas
24% from coal
20% from nuclear
7% from hydro dams
6.5% from wind turbines
1.8% from solar

Scratch all fossil fuel use for generating electrical power? Lets see what that means?

Natural gas is from fossils and nuclear is slated to be gone too within 10 years, thus 38% plus 20% will be gone.
24% from coal and of course that will be gone too.
All diesel power generation will be gone too.

38 + 24 + 20 + diesel plants too = more than 82% of the USA power generation will not happen anymore.

Now the USA is just left with:

Hydro dams 7%
wind 6.5%
solar 1.8%

Just 15.3% of present power generation is left!

DREAM ON!!!

No reasonable solar energy is even capable within 40 degrees latitude from either Earth's pole towards the equator, under trees, limbs, and leaves, other than the max 8-10 hours of the daytime when the sun is not behind any clouds, fog, falling rain or snow or snow accumulation on the solar panels.

The wind must be blowing to turn the windmills or no power is generated. Add in that most areas have very low wind or calm winds during the nighttime hours so that sure doesn't help.

Maybe somebody has magic pills that create untold electrical power to save the day???

Tell me again where all the electrical power required today for the entire USA and then the 50+ million added vehicles that only can run on electricity are going to get all that electricity from??? I'm patiently waiting!!!
There you go spouting facts instead of uninformed opinion.

I would like to see how many hydrocarbon based products proponents of electric vehicles can identify that are used in the manufacturing of a electric vehicle ?

That's not even counting the asphalt roads they drive on. Use concrete you say, guess what cement companies use to heat in the manufacturing process, natural gas another hydrocarbon.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Tesla killer -- not really, Tesla is at 390 miles and semis are 500-mile batteries.

But good news for those who don't like the looks of Cybertruck.

Or, the GM fateful -- except they will probably boycott this because GM CEO said they are into electric vehicles because of she believe in climate change.

Sam1 - Maybe you should keep reading. I am surprised that you were not invited to Michigan to see all that is coming. GM let many influencers into the future.

The GMC Hummer electric pickup, slated for production in fall 2021, will be the first vehicle with new battery technology, GM said. The automaker also gave previews of other EVs to follow: a Hummer SUV, a midsize Chevy SUV, a Buick SUV and crossover and three Cadillacs — including a six-figure, hand-built sedan called the Celestiq.

GM has said it plans to have 20 EVs globally by 2023, and it's converting the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant into an EV manufacturing hub with a $3 billion investment.

You better find more hype for Tesla!

And remember, even though I can watch electricity being made from coal from my back yard, I did lease a Bolt EV.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Solar and wind can be added faster than EVs are built.
Just sit back and relax. The transition will take a few years but is already in progress.

Then why haven't they?

HC's and nuke make up almost 90% of the juice in the country. 90%!!!

Solar has been around for 70 years only make up less than 2% and wind less than 7%. And they both had over 70+ years to get ahead of those nasty HC's.

Even Tusk saw the handwriting on the wall and put up just a few token panels on Gig 1. And he even has a factory for free panels!

This is what it WAS going to look like.

[image]

Here is what it really looks like! LOL

[image]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 400-mile battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.