cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Impact of the Corona Virus on the Drug Supply

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
The admins have asked that we keep the other thread limited to whether or not the Corona Virus will close the parks or not. I therefor figured I'd start a different thread.

I'm a type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure, for which I take Actos and Metformin for the former and Atenolol, Diltiazem, and Ramipril for the later.

Lou Dobbs on Fox said this week that 85% of our prescription medications come from China.

Please, let's not turn this political with Fox vs CNN vs MSNBC. You watch whatever network you want to watch and I'll watch the one I want to watch.

I don't take any single source as gospel, so I went looking on the web and I found THIS from the Council on Foreign Relations:

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/coronavirus-disrupt-us-drug-supply-shortages-fda

This bears watching. In particular, I'm thinking that if there are shortages, drug stores may try to conserve their supplies for their own local customers as opposed to filling prescriptions for out-of town travelers that they've never seen before. A possibility to keep in mind.
8 REPLIES 8

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we changed coverage for Part D(drugs) two years ago, we renew our 90 day prescriptions with our out going service and got new ones with the new (Humana) supplier. So we are always at least 90+ ahead of need. We just reordered another round that was available. We watch the dates to assure that we are not getting to far ahead and number the bottles in sequence.

I am on warfarin after DVT in right leg and a bilateral PE. So getting my medication is VERY important. We will be tuning in to the President's speech tonight to see if he finally omits that we have a large issue that is going to take strong action to confront as a nation.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire.

2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I have read the biggest issue is China supplies a lot of the raw materials for various drugs. From there they go to India/ other places where it is actually manufactured. The good news is a lot of drug companies have stockpiles of drugs and some raw materials. So there is some time before things get really critical. The bad news is we / the world seems to have forgotten to plan on incidents like this, so if this virus or other disaster becomes long term big problems result. Would I mind if my prescriptions cost 15% more if I could be guaranteed a reliable supply? Nope, not at all.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not suggest any stockpiling. However don't wait for the last week of supplies to order. Be mindful of expiration dates.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
At the very least, it would be nice if they didn't single source drugs. Get some from Taiwan, some from Korea, some from Japan, some from Singapore, etc.

I wonder if Canada and Mexico also get their drugs from China? Probably. I hear you can buy many prescription drugs over the counter in Mexican border towns. That might be worth looking into right now to build up a stockpile.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
... like he ran on 2016 bringing back the factories..
And what happened to that?

People want cheap. They don't care where it's made.
wildtoad wrote:
We are the high cost producer of just about everything.
That's correct.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
This virus thing should be a wake up call to have more stuff, especially critical items, have multiple supply chains, being made here in the USA better. Unfortunately having inexpensive drugs, or consumer products and made here in the USA just aren't two things that seem to go together. We are the high cost producer of just about everything.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent point. I wonder if there is a shortage of medicine/drugs the available supply will go to Americans or other places?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
95% of our Medicene is NOT made in America..

This is what our past leaders and gobberment officials have allowed, its time to stop this maddness and start making it here again.

I would ask your doctor for a 3 month prescription and have the pharmacy sell you 3 months so you can have it on stock at your house..

If Trump runs on bringing back medicine made here in America like he ran on 2016 bringing back the factories than he could win 2020 easy..

:C