Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: towing w/ camper few ?s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> towing w/ camper few ?s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

markowwes wrote:

It all comes down to how much money do you want to spend?
No power or weight issues with this setup (only one problem, the MPG is bad)
[image]
I went from GM to Ford in 99 and never had one that had the death wobble, that’s old school. Proper maintenance avoids that kind of issue. Stay away from the 6.4 Ford diesel though, it’s a money pit.
Good Luck
Wes

Nice looking rig.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

SideHillSoup wrote:

This truck is by no men’s load standing beside it or while driving it. The days of load “ stock” diesel NEW trucks are long gone.

Maybe autocorrect/autocomplete got this. Can you explain?

Funny.....that what happens when your coffee isn’t ready

Joe Glidewell

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Realtor
2. 3/4 ton to 1 ton depending on camper weight
3. see #2

I have a 2016 F-250 4x4 with the gasoline 6.2L v8 with a 6 speed auto. The engine power is fine for pulling a loaded trailer while in camper mode. Just expect to slow down a bit on steep grades. The squat is where I have to be concerned. My camper is about 2000lbs wet. The truck bed drops about 5 inches when I put the camper on the bed. Biggest thing I have hauled was a 6x12 wood deck single axle utility trailer with a 1300lb. side-x-side and it sags another couple inches. The bump stops for my suspension were about 3 inches from touching the leaf springs. Not sure of the trailer tongue weight with that setup, but that was the max of my comfort level.

I have a LivinLite CampLite 6.8 model. Has a shower, toilet, stove, microwave, fridge, gas heater, & rooftop AC. The freshwater tank is only 13 gallons but I manage. And when it's installed on the truck bed, it leaves the receiver hitch unobstructed.

* This post was edited 03/09/20 12:27pm by Joe Glidewell *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Standard F-250s, the previous gen 2011-2016 anyway, have a relatively soft spring pack especially the initial travel of the suspension.
Makes for a nicer ride in a 3/4 ton, but a little squishy. Nothing any one of the various suspension enhancements can't easily correct.
Truck is not actually overloaded, just under-sprung for a HD pickup.
Both my 2012 and 2015 were comparatively soft in the @ss end compared to most other trucks.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death wobble is generally something that only affects vehicles with solid front axles or front wheel drive vehicles.

I’m pretty sure GM trucks stil don’t have solid front axles. No death wobble but less strength/stability. Pick your poison.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Death wobble is generally something that only affects vehicles with solid front axles or front wheel drive vehicles.

I’m pretty sure GM trucks stil don’t have solid front axles. No death wobble but less strength/stability. Pick your poison.

The last time I experienced the death wabble it was on a 1982 Beaver Class C motor home on a Dodge chassis with the 440 engine...The front rotors caused it..It was eye opening for sure coming down a very steep grade..Acceleration was the only thing that pulled it out of the wabble..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Oh geez here we go. Less articulation, yes. Less strength and stability? Roflmao
How many folks you know broke front axles in their anything IFS. Gotta do better with the brand loyalty. Weak front axle arguments, in earnest, died out about 20 years ago.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

No death wobble on my rig, nor any GM truck that I've owned, nor any that friends and family have owned.

You have youtube link to show that?

No, I don't have a link to a video that "doesn't show" GM Death Wobble, probably because no one has ever posted one, which is probably because GM trucks don't seem to experience death wobble.

I'm not really sure why someone would make a video of something "not" happening... It's pointless.
Even more confusing is why you are asking for a link to a video that would show something "not" happening.

?!?!?

Ok, bud. The guys are getting on you about it. But you make videos about stuff that is akin to walking and chewing gum at the same time. And Kayteg was rude to point it out, but he is sorta right. Except the fact that death wobble is a nonexistent condition in ifs vehicles.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Correct.
I've heard about it on lifted Jeep TJs with larger tires, back in my Jeep enthusiast days.

jimh425 wrote:

I’m pretty sure GM trucks stil don’t have solid front axles.

Yep. GM full size 4WD trucks have been IFS since the 1988 model year. Prior to that they were sold front axle.

The crew cab long bed trucks stuck with the old body style for a few more years.

* This post was edited 03/10/20 06:54am by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to drive your 24’ cabin cruiser over a scale. I’ve had a lot of boats and I find it HIGHLY unlikely that any 24’ cabin cruiser on a trailer scales that light (4000 pounds).
My last 22’ cuddy cabin weighed 6000 on the trailer.

Campers that hang past the truck bed a bit aren’t a problem. Often boat trailers have enough tongue to still hitch right up. If they don’t, just use a hitch extension.
I tow a 26 foot cabin cruiser behind a dually pickup with an 11.5 foot camper, that hangs about 4 feet behind the truck.

Death wobble is worn out front track bars or other front end parts. If your truck is in good shape you won’t have it, and carrying a camper and towing your boat don’t cause more of it.
GM trucks don’t have it because they haven’t had straight axles in front since ‘87, ‘91 on the crew cabs.
The older diesels were loud. The newer ones are as quiet as a gas truck. Fuel price is higher but they get better mileage. Both of your reasons for not wanting a diesel are mistaken.
However, they’re expensive to buy and if you don’t drive a whole lot they don’t really pay for themselves. They make driving effortless with a camper and trailer with all their torque though.

You want a dually. It’s just gonna drive way more solid and confidently with the camper and.boat, and it isn’t any wider than the camper and boat already are.

* This post was edited 03/10/20 07:48am by burningman *

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> towing w/ camper few ?s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.