Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Help Me Understand
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help Me Understand

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab with 5.3 engine with 77000 miles on it. I purchase this vehicle in April 2019.
I have driven it about 2000 miles and pulled my 23 trailer with no problems.
However, this Friday I noticed the Voltmeter was under 14 on the gauge and thought I might be having a alternator problem. After driving a couple of miles uo the road the gauge returned to plus 14. I did not change anything on the vehicle and it returned to what I consider normal or 14. I had a trip planned and since this is the first I have noticed this I thought It was better to cancel the trip until I determined exactly what if any was the problem. I put in a new interstate battery in November 2019. When i got home I checked the battery and it was 12.8 checked the alternator and it was 15.8. I let the truck sit for a few hours and checked the battery and it was still 12.8 checked the alternator and it was 15.8
Got the owners manual out and did not find anything that was informative on my situation.
Google different topic and found out on the SilveradoSirream.com web site that this is normal do to the economy mode system on the truck which has to do with the Fuel Magament System.

DOES ANYONE HAS A SITUATION WHERE THE VOLT GUAGE FLUCTUATES BETWEEN THE ONE ON THE 14 AND PLUS 14 ON THE GUAGE.

I Will be called the dealer in the am tomorrow. Thanks Ed

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing sounds out of the ordinary to me. The voltage will fluctuate based on the electrical needs of the vehicle at the moment, the state of battery charge, and what the electronics in the vehicle computer think is appropriate charging for the conditions. On many modern vehicles it does cycle the alternator under low load conditions once the battery is charged to help save fuel. Even without that, changes in electrical loads are entirely possible, such as from automatic headlights turning on or the radiator fan starting up or stopping. Your battery is getting charged while you're driving, clearly, so the system sure seems to be working as designed.

(I don't have a GM truck, but I certainly have noticed the voltage varying on my Honda Fit for various reasons while driving, and its charge system empirically has worked just fine in as much as the small original battery is still installed and working after 7.5 years and over 150K miles....)

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15.8 is to high for a CS144 Delco alternator. Love to. Help but impossible on this cell phone. Sorry.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what a gauge is supposed to do.. Unlike the Ford ones which just sit at one position and is nothing more than a warning light..

Wish my gauges actually moved....

You are fine.. I think what you are saying is why Ford went to the non moving gauges...

Like I said, I wish my gauges actually moved..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

lawrosa

Horry County

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/20 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rEAD PAGE 1 AND 3 HERE. GM HAS BEEN DOING IT SINCE 2004. mY ORIGINAL gm BATTERY IN MY 2006 SILVERADO LASTED 11 YEARS.

oops sry caps locked

https://srs20assets.service-solutions.co........wnloads/Document%20Library/TL_Sept04.pdf

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/20 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GM trucks have a process to cut the field current in the alternator so they don't charge when the battery is full up and there is no other loads. This improves fleet fuel economy ratings. Nothing wrong. There was a tech bulletin on this.

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

14 is actually a tad high... But GM does like to run the system on the high side.. I will alarm one monitor I have at that voltage (I silenced he alarm the hard way) But based on your post I'd not worry. Sounds normal for a GM.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2011 Silverado with a Duramax. It starts at 12V and quickly (20 seconds) rises to 14V where it stays no matter what is going on. Original batteries.

My Harley OTOH would start at 12 and go to 17 and higher as revs went up. It was a fried voltage regulator. Replaced it and the battery as it was probably damaged from over-charging.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, most dash mounted gauges are not very accurate.

Second, unlike older (pre-2000) vehicle, modern vehicles vary the charging voltage "as required". Using a "good quality" meter and measuring directly at the battery posts, typically the voltage will be above 14V shortly after starting, but will drop down to around 13.8V after it has been running for awhile.

If it drops below 13.2V at "fast idle", you have a problem !

Mike LeClair

Wetaskiwin, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, I believe that GM uses the acronym "RCS" for Regulated Charge System" or somehthing along those lines. My 2006 Sierra 3500 does pretty much the same thing except I don't think that I have ever seen it as high as you are noting. I have seen it hit 15V under heavy operating load.

Cheers!

Mike

Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help Me Understand
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.