cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coronavirus practical issues

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it might be nice to have a thread to talk about practical concerns. I'll start :).

What should a solo traveler do, if they are camped somewhere they don't know anybody, and get seriously ill -- too sick to shop for groceries, but not sick enough to be hospitalized?

Besides concern for my parents, this is the other thing that is sending me home early. I imagined myself lying in bed in my RV, calling local churches to see if some volunteer would bring me some food. I didn't want to do that.

Obviously this is something that could happen with many diseases or injuries. But honestly, it's not something I had thought about before now.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
138 REPLIES 138

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Started sterilizing currency in the microwave

Single layer

Ten seconds

Not 11 seconds

No coins of course. They go for a swim

Many businesses down here do not have POS machines.

It is common to wait 5 minutes or more for authorization

More sometimes means frozen system

Mod's edit: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire.

2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two options
1: many campgrounds have real nice managers/staff
2: many stores deliver now days
2b: so do Taxi Services. ... For a fee.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped analyzing and have directed all my energy toward prevention of contrating

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
What are your chances of succumbing to the disease. 0.3%.

Those are the only known facts, All else is nothing but speculation.
Here is some data that says of resolved cases 88% recovered 12% passed.

Probably somewhere in the middle. I agree the statistics are incomplete.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The model can and will be adjusted as data is update; this too was clearly stated in the article

The same type of modeling is used to monitor influenza each year
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Makes sense since a simulation/mathematical modeling starts with data that has been collected.
Exactly - a model built on assumptions is wothless. Just look at how many times some form of he word "assume" is used in the text. SWAG.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense since a simulation/mathematical modeling starts with data that has been collected.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
TechWriter wrote:

In the meantime, here's what others are saying about the Imperial College Study . . .
Have you read it? Itโ€™s an interesting analysis. The description of the transition model (infectious for 12hrs before the onset of symptoms) and Table 1 are enlightening.

The death rates in Table 1 are very similar to this JAMA summary of the China cases.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

In the meantime, here's what others are saying about the Imperial College Study . . .
Have you read it? Itโ€™s an interesting analysis. The description of the transition model (infectious for 12hrs before the onset of symptoms) and Table 1 are enlightening.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Myself I concentrate on maintaining sterile condition against ingestation and treat "news" like print political information.

And it is difficult.

The healthcare system down here is not first world. It is like the remotest and poorest sections of the united states.

I hope my theory pans out.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting that, Optimistic Paranoid. It was terrifying, but also very newsworthy.

This is all so surreal.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
The big take away is - every time some one try to lay some number out about this, its all just speculation with no basis in fact. Just like I originally said.

You should probably contact the CDC or WHO and share your expertise.

Mother Jones

ARS Technica

Financial Times

Reuters

National Review

Fox News

CNN
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Article from The Hill:

CDC Analysis Shows Coronavirus poses Serious Risk for Younger People

Early data analyzed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that younger Americans are at substantial risk of experiencing serious medical problems from the coronavirus sweeping the globe.

That data runs counter to some of the early messaging from public health officials in other parts of the world.

A new CDC analysis of more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 that have occurred in the United States in the last month shows that at least 1 in 7 and perhaps as many as 1 in 5 people between the ages of 20 and 44 who contract the virus require hospitalization, a level exponentially higher than the hospitalization rates for influenza.

Between 2 percent and 4 percent of people that young are admitted to intensive care units. The fatality rate is low, only 0.1 percent to 0.2 percent, but is about two times higher than a bad flu season.

Health outcomes are much worse among those who are older and those who have underlying health conditions. The early estimates show that a fifth to a third of those between the ages of 45 and 65 who contract the disease are hospitalized. Among those over 75 years old, hospitalization estimates range from 30 percent to more than 70 percent.

Among the oldest cohort, those over the age of 85, somewhere between 10 percent and a quarter of all patients die. The data show adults over the age of 65 account for 80 percent of the deaths with the coronavirus.

But younger Americans are contracting the virus at the same rates as those who are older. The initial round of data actually found more people between the ages of 20 and 44 who landed in the hospital than those over the age of 75 who wound up in treatment, even though mortality rates were lower for the younger set.

"Lots of young people are getting hospitalized, a lot more than weโ€™re messaging, and, yes, maybe you donโ€™t die, but living with a damaged lung or damaged organ is not a good outcome," said Prabhjot Singh, a health systems expert at Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine.

Deborah Birx, one of the Trump administration's top experts on its coronavirus task force, said Wednesday that early data from France and Italy, both dealing with thousands of coronavirus cases, seemed to underscore the threat to younger people.

"There are concerning reports coming out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and very seriously ill in the ICUs," Birx said at a White House briefing

She did not offer further details.

The data, Singh said, shows the importance of government messaging to millennials and members of Generation Z that the virus poses a substantial risk no matter someone's age. And even if someone does not show serious symptoms, they can still spread the disease to friends, neighbors or relatives who will.

"Weโ€™re talking to young people about doing their part and being good millennials because they could be asymptomatic spreaders," Singh said. "Thatโ€™s true, but itโ€™s also true that some high number of them will also get sick enough to be hospitalized, and many of them may have lasting consequences."

dturm
The numbers are "best guess" using epidemiological modeling. Not all people who get the flu are tested or treated either. Over time, these numbers will accumulate so we'll have a better resprsentation of what is going on.

I'm not getting hung up on whether the mortality is 3.4, 0.3 or 0.01. We've got a population of 350 million or so and 30-60% will probably get this in some form from inapparent to life threatening. The number that will require extensive medical intervention will overwhelm our health care system if they all get sick at the same time.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV