Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Coronavirus practical issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio, in addition to the "stock up" comments I made before, I just saw this.
CDC

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Testing for COVID-19 right now is reserved for only those patients with cough, fever and breathing symptoms who also have known exposure.

The problem is that we are seeing an increase in so-called "community exposure". That is, people with COVID-19 with NO known exposure to a known infected person.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Several years ago, I learned about hand sanitizing by watching fellows using the restroom and not washing their hands afterward. Good lord, I don't want to touch him by proxy!!!
We aren't fanatics, but use sanitizer, wash our hands, wipe the food containers bought in a grocery, wipe surfaces, and carry bear spray.
Hey, ya never can be tooooo careful!
Come on guys, wash yer hands.
We've never done this... But we probably will be doing this soon. From checking on how long the virus can last on surfaces - we've heard from a few hours to 9 days. 9 days?!

Can we quarantine our mail or our groceries for 9 days?

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From an RV perspective, I’d say extra care around water fills and dump stations is reasonable. And you couldn’t get me to use a park restroom. Which is nothing new. And of course easy to say when you’re self contained.

Those with traveling companions are vulnerable if both cannot operate the equipment.

If you’re traveling with kids, I’d declare the playground equipment off limits.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

I do travel with pets, too, so that is a concern.

The CDC has guidelines for people with pets who have the COVID-19 and are staying home and treating it themselves.

* *Limit contact with pets & animals:* You should restrict contact with pets and other animals while you are sick with COVID-19, just like you would around other people. Although there have not been reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19, it is still recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus.

* When possible, have another member of your household care for your animals while you are sick. If you are sick with COVID-19, avoid contact with your pet, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food. If you must care for your pet or be around animals while you are sick, wash your hands before and after you interact with pets and wear a face mask. See COVID-19 and Animals for more information.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#2019-nCoV-and-animals

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

wipe surfaces, and carry bear spray.
Are bears contagious?

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I copied on Facebook. It has a stick figure with a smile. "This Is Bob. Bob is not panicking. Bob listens to scientists instead of news media. Bob washes his hands all year long because he's not gross and knows basic hygeine. Be like Bob.
We are paying attention to the CDC and other scientists. This is not, as some would have people believe, a political ploy either by the right or left, but is a real problem that needs to be addressed with caution and concern.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reader1 wrote:

This is not, as some would have people believe, a political ploy either by the right or left
It's difficult to imagine why anyone would think that, but, these are the times we live in.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a answer to those of you who full time or travel a lot. Since I live in the country miles from anywhere I always have a large supply of the things I need on hand to keep me going for a couple of weeks.

I am just a weekend camper that sticks close to me home in SW MN. I am most worried that they may close the parks that I go camping at. And, about the time they do that will be the same time that spring gets here and I want to go camping.

They could also suspend or cancel the small, cheap, or free, summer concerts that I go to in my area. Besides being a drag because I would like to go to them it would also be a big expensive hit on local business who rely on that income to make it through the year. Local places like the Arnold's Park Amusement Park would be hit really hard too if they had to close .

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

Quote:

Testing for COVID-19 right now is reserved for only those patients with cough, fever and breathing symptoms who also have known exposure.

The problem is that we are seeing an increase in so-called "community exposure". That is, people with COVID-19 with NO known exposure to a known infected person.

Yes, because people with mild cold or flu symptoms are still going to work, grocery store, etc. That's why my doctor's letter emphasized, do not do this.

pasusan wrote:

From checking on how long the virus can last on surfaces - we've heard from a few hours to 9 days. 9 days?!

Can we quarantine our mail or our groceries for 9 days?

You can spray or wipe down your groceries before you bring them into the house, with anything from this detailed list from the CDC.

For your mail, you might try what kills ordinary flu viruses: pre-heat your oven to 200°, then turn it off and put the mail in there. You can also put your shoes in there, and put your clothing in the dryer for 10 minutes. I know this stuff from caring for a person with an immune disorder.

But the key thing is, as the director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases said in wanderingaimlessly's link above,

"As the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the U.S. will at some point in time this year or next be exposed to this virus, and there’s a good chance many will become sick".

Delaying when you get it means the doctors will have a better idea how to treat you, better stock of medications, etc. But eventually most of us will get it. Hopefully with mild symptoms!

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.