Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where's the bypass for the water heater?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where's the bypass for the water heater?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
atexintx

El Paso Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 2010 Heartland Edge, 19' and want to sanitize my fresh water tank. I'm new to all this but I think I can do it myself if I know how to turn ON the bypass. The official manual does not have good pics.

Also, how do I drain the fresh water tank? (Keep it simple and pretend I'm in the 4th grade). I'm having trouble on these tanks. I know how to empty the grey and black tank, but in simple terms, how do I drain the FWT?

Thank you.

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A complete search of the underbelly of your trailer didn’t locate the fresh water drain value? (On your back with eye protection)

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. The water heater by-pass is usually near the water heater tank. It's the red thingy lever. So, as I tell my 4th grader, if it is usually on, so turning it the other way will shut if off, lol.

2. There are drain tubes for fresh water tanks underneath your unit. Open it up and set aside the plug and water will drain. Mine have 3 of them for municipal water, fresh water storage tank and hot water tank or lines.

And welcome to RVing.

Wait for the fun part, dumping and draining the dark water tank.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are different variations of bypasses. Most I have seen have been located on the back of the water heater. Sometimes you have to remove an access panel or drawer to get to them. They are generally a series of two or three valves. There is generally a cross over pipe between the ingoing water line, and the line leaving the hot water tank. You generally close the one going to the tank, and if it has three, you close the one leaving the tank. You then open the one that diverts the cold water from the inlet pipe to the crossover to the outlet pipe, thereby bypassing the tank. Some have valves in the water bay, but I think they only install them on higher end class A.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can find the FW drain, just run a faucet until it’s empty and then dump the gray tank. It will empty faster that way anyway.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does every water heater have a bypass? Seems like an easy way to save manufacturing cost by not supplying one?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google "rv water heater bypass diagram" and look at the pictures.
As for the freshwater drain, look underneath the trailer directly below your water fill point. The drain valve may be on the other side of the trailer but it should be around that point in the trailer.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every trailer that I've owned and the ones I've helped the owners winterize have all had bypass valves.
When these valves are turned inline with the lines, water can access the water heater and visa versa.

What surprises me is seeing brand new trailers NOT being equipped with winterization kit, easy install but still.

I know several who actually use 9 gals of RV antifreeze to winterize simply because they won't bypass the water heater. Lol

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, the Fresh water tank has to be equipped with a drain, it will be a single not far from tank.
Just don't confuse it with your low point drains,configured in doubles.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are just sanitizing the FWT, no need to bypass anything. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons added through the tank fill, run water pump through each faucet til you can smell chlorine. Let sit for a couple hours, then drain and rinse til smell is gone.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where's the bypass for the water heater?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.