cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the bypass for the water heater?

atexintx
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2010 Heartland Edge, 19' and want to sanitize my fresh water tank. I'm new to all this but I think I can do it myself if I know how to turn ON the bypass. The official manual does not have good pics.

Also, how do I drain the fresh water tank? (Keep it simple and pretend I'm in the 4th grade). I'm having trouble on these tanks. I know how to empty the grey and black tank, but in simple terms, how do I drain the FWT?

Thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
If you are just sanitizing the FWT, no need to bypass anything. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons added through the tank fill, run water pump through each faucet til you can smell chlorine. Let sit for a couple hours, then drain and rinse til smell is gone.

Adding vinegar after draining the bleached water will help with the bleach smell.
But yea.....clean the fresh tank like grandpa says.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Does every water heater have a bypass? Seems like an easy way to save manufacturing cost by not supplying one?

My water heater does not have a bypass. I think that because it is mounted under the bed where it is difficult to access they thought it was not needed.

I wish it did have one it sure would make life easier. I could add one but, I'm afraid to mess with the plumbing on my 27 year old TT. It still has the original water heater. Which still has, what looks like, the original anode rod screwed into the back of it. I'm afraid to try and screw it out.

I must ask,
How are you draining the WH without ever removing the anode rod ?
It's 27 yrs old so something is working. Lol

The anode rod on this water heater is on the back of it and not even on the bottom !! It's screwed in about half way up.

There is a drain for the tank on the bottom of the camper that is plumbed into the bottom of the water heater right where the lower water line hooks up.

It looks like a standard RV water heater but, I haven't seen one with this configuration before.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to remove a drawer under the kitchen sink to access the by-pass valve, My Fresh Water drain is right next to the FW tank, under the rear queen.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
If you have found the water heater behind the panel on the outside of the trailer, then the by-pass valve(s) will be on the inside of the trailer directly in from of the water heater. You will probably have to take off a panel held on by a couple of screws, or lift a seat cover, or some other such thing. I've even heard of them being inside of a end table.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Does every water heater have a bypass? Seems like an easy way to save manufacturing cost by not supplying one?

My water heater does not have a bypass. I think that because it is mounted under the bed where it is difficult to access they thought it was not needed.

I wish it did have one it sure would make life easier. I could add one but, I'm afraid to mess with the plumbing on my 27 year old TT. It still has the original water heater. Which still has, what looks like, the original anode rod screwed into the back of it. I'm afraid to try and screw it out.

I must ask,
How are you draining the WH without ever removing the anode rod ?
It's 27 yrs old so something is working. Lol

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first trailer had 3 valves to bypass water heater. Our current trailer just has one valve. Dad had a trailer that didn't come with bypass, he had dealer install it when they winterized it for the first winter.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just sanitizing the FWT, no need to bypass anything. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons added through the tank fill, run water pump through each faucet til you can smell chlorine. Let sit for a couple hours, then drain and rinse til smell is gone.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
OP, the Fresh water tank has to be equipped with a drain, it will be a single not far from tank.
Just don't confuse it with your low point drains,configured in doubles.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Every trailer that I've owned and the ones I've helped the owners winterize have all had bypass valves.
When these valves are turned inline with the lines, water can access the water heater and visa versa.

What surprises me is seeing brand new trailers NOT being equipped with winterization kit, easy install but still.

I know several who actually use 9 gals of RV antifreeze to winterize simply because they won't bypass the water heater. Lol

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google "rv water heater bypass diagram" and look at the pictures.
As for the freshwater drain, look underneath the trailer directly below your water fill point. The drain valve may be on the other side of the trailer but it should be around that point in the trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can find the FW drain, just run a faucet until it’s empty and then dump the gray tank. It will empty faster that way anyway.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
There are different variations of bypasses. Most I have seen have been located on the back of the water heater. Sometimes you have to remove an access panel or drawer to get to them. They are generally a series of two or three valves. There is generally a cross over pipe between the ingoing water line, and the line leaving the hot water tank. You generally close the one going to the tank, and if it has three, you close the one leaving the tank. You then open the one that diverts the cold water from the inlet pipe to the crossover to the outlet pipe, thereby bypassing the tank. Some have valves in the water bay, but I think they only install them on higher end class A.