cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Pendleton San Onofre

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have reviewed the web site and like some more personal info if possible. Thanks Ed
12 REPLIES 12

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some military non lifer veterans suffered greatly for their country. Just saying. Dustoff Three Zero.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A few CP posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Still looking for info about the campground. Has anyone stayed at the base?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo, different โ€œlevelsโ€ of veterans has always bothered me. To me, you are or you are not a veteran.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Those of us that are only vets not allowed.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
What about the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018 that was implemented Jan 1 , 2020, is this facility exempt?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Active and retired military only.

Not 100% true. Invited guests also although the active/retired must be camping also. My wife and I were invited and checked in without problems.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about the Las Pulgas area, it is very pretty but you can't go into the water because of the metal debris.

If you are talking about the area just south of San Clemente, it looks like heaven to me, but it is military only. I think retired military should be able to get in. The beach is sandy, but there are rounded rocks offshore under the water. The waves are relatively gentle -- they roll rather than crash. Great for boogie boards or longboards.

The water is cold -- in the high 50s right now, and in the mid 60s in the summer. Bring a good wetsuit.

There is some train and highway noise. But I would not let that stop me, if I could only get in there. The campsites are much closer to the water than they are in the state park campground up on the bluffs, which is a good thing.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I am retired military

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Active and retired military only.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Did the website discuss the length of the walk or elevation change to the beach? What about the noise from the nearby I5?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad