cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guys waving red flags from overpasses???

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
This is not the first time I've seen it... Between Puebla and Cordoba on the toll roll some overpasses in rural areas have guys watching the traffic and waving red flags... What's it about?
6 REPLIES 6

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the answer! I'm not in Mexico, but I was curious.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

slowlyiturn
Explorer
Explorer
checked it out again today on our drive north. the overpasses are only barely 1 lane wide and the flagman is directing cross traffic. even people in the "boonies" use the roads
2 retired canadians

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
that's possible but these overpasses are way out in the boonies, all the traffic is down below with not very much overhead.

slowlyiturn
Explorer
Explorer
I think it has nothing to do with the highway, but with the traffic on the very narrow overpass.
2 retired canadians

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why but this brought up an old memory.

Driving north on (IIRC) I-75, some where south of Ohio, we pass a sign that says "Drug Inspection Checkpoint". I think, "Great, I hope they don't want to take all of my family's belongings out of the car !" We come around a corner and the only thing I see up ahead is a bridge. There is a wide, treed median. A couple of hundred yards before the bridge, there is a maintenance cross-over between north and south bound lanes. As I pass under the bridge, I notice the "smokey" with binoculars on the bridge and a couple of patrol cars on the south bound side.

What a sneaky trick ! Anyone with drugs would try to take the illegal cross over and be stopped. They would at least get a traffic violation and possibly a lot more !!

We just sailed on by.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They failed. Wasted their time since you have no idea what the red flag means.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad