Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagging headliner

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
The headliner on our 2007 Itasca Navion is sagging:

I'll be grateful for advice on how to reattach it, and also for any advice on whether this Means Something (say, water leak), or if it's just age.
11 REPLIES 11

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll,

You are correct.

In my case with my motor home's interior, I would have needed to remove everything, furnishings and all because the material was throughout including the inside of the cabinetry. Then peel off the material, and then with a metal bristle brush, remove 100% of the foam, both crumbled and good, then attach brand new foam-backed head-liner material with a contact adhesive on both the foam and interior wall surfaces. It is the same process as restoring a headliner but on a much much bigger scale. Adding the complexity of so many different surfaces converging, there were finished seams to deal with. It would have been so much for anyone to deal with. That is one of a few reasons why we decided to sell the rig.

I also looked into a spray-on bed liner material, something much more durable but tan colored, not black. The cost of that option was tremendous.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an old s-10 pu that did similar. Need to remove the entire piece that it was adhered to. Then pull the fabric off the backing material. Remove any deteriorated material or foam between the fabric and backing material. Use spray-on contact adhesive and reapply the fabric to the backing. Very tedious and just one shot to make perfect. Although does not have to be perfect to look tons better and function perfectly. A bit of an art project.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1984 Toyota Mirage had the "bed curtain" thing going on. It all came down during the course of one trip. The foam backing turned to dust and just let go all at once. We sold the rig like that. Fortunately there were cabinet and trim features that held most of it in acceptable condition, but not well enough in the cab-over area.

Here are a few pics I took for the sale ad.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillHoughton wrote:
This implies that there is something up there to which I can attach screws/tacks. Well, that'll be another fun project, unless I succumb and let an upholstery shop invade my wallet.

As I said before on My Winnie I had the same problem,there is Lauan under the fabric and I first started with the Headliner Repair Caps they screwed into the Lauan and worked for a while. The problem was that the it started in a very small area but as time went on the foam and adhesive just started to come loose in larger areas. It is a stop gap that may work out for you if it doesn't get any larger.

If it does then you may have to do as I did and take it all down.

Good luck!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, everyone. I wrote Winnebago, too, and got this useful answer this morning: "We have seen instances like this where the headliner adhesion has let loose. Unfortunately, the only way to make a proper repair is to remove the old fabric and glue up new fabric or just replace the whole panel with the fabric already glued to luan paneling. This can be quite the task depending on how much fabric is coming loose from the panels. Depending on where and how much it is falling, you may be able to secure it using batt strips, upholstery tacks or rosettes. Those are just a couple of options that we have heard other owners doing."

This implies that there is something up there to which I can attach screws/tacks. Well, that'll be another fun project, unless I succumb and let an upholstery shop invade my wallet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
1995brave wrote:
This could also be caused from the foam backing deteriorating from wrong type of foam or adhesive being used.

I agree. This was a common problem back then.
There were a few fixes that you can view on the Winnie owners forum. Gluing using 3M or stapling marine carpet in place after removing the old stuff were common fixes.
Being that its a tight area to work in I would try a professional auto upholstery shop .

I will also go along with this,it happened to my Winnie,the foam backing deteriorated and the fabric sagged. It had to all be removed,a very messy job. It was replaced with the carpet type that is now in most RVs
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
1995brave wrote:
This could also be caused from the foam backing deteriorating from wrong type of foam or adhesive being used.

I agree. This was a common problem back then.
There were a few fixes that you can view on the Winnie owners forum. Gluing using 3M or stapling marine carpet in place after removing the old stuff were common fixes.
Being that its a tight area to work in I would try a professional auto upholstery shop .

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned that you have a leak vs just age. I have had car headliners sag but usually ten years older than your rig. I would make some calls to auto upholstery outfits and discuss whether they fix sagging liners and have any experience with RV's.
Kevin

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotta peel it off and spray glue it back on. Better left to an auto upholstery shop.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cut an edge and look and feel for a leak.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad