Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4-way Flashers not working

drifterpilot
Explorer
Explorer
4-Way Flashers not working
Turn signals work. Brake lights work. Running lights work.
When I step on the brakes, both turn signals on the dash illuminate and stay illuminated as long as I stay on the brakes.
I replaced the turn signal flasher.
What should I check next?
Thanks
2017 Allegro 34P
7,900 Miles, Ford V10
Winegard (in-motion tracking)
Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy
14 REPLIES 14

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
its part of the turn signal switch napa part #dl6092 with cruise control

drifterpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Problem figured out - not solved yet, but know why!

The Hazard 4-Way Flashers Light Switch (Off/On) is faulty. When I push the switch to "On", nothing happens. But when I "lean" the switch slightly to the left, the Hazard 4-Way Flashers start flashing audibly and visually on the dash.

The switch body is recessed beneath a two-piece protective cover. I have to remove the top half of the cover to get to the switch body. The top half of the cover encircles the ignition switch and cannot be lifted until I remove the top part of the switch. The top part of the ignition switch is what you twist with your thumb and trigger finger when you are turning the key.

How do I get that switch apart?

Thanks.
2017 Allegro 34P
7,900 Miles, Ford V10
Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure with your RV but my Providence DP has individual fuses for each IE. Turn Signals, flashes, brakes.
They are located in same apartment buy batteries.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
drifterpilot wrote:

When I step on the brakes, both turn signals on the dash illuminate and stay illuminated as long as I stay on the brakes.

This is the normal function for the GM multi-function switch in your coach. All GM trucks with combined stop/turn lights over-ride the 4-ways with the brake light. This made sense prior to center-mount brake lights becoming prevalent.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MrWizard
Vehicles used to have discreet individual switches for each function,
Now it's one multi function .... Multi contacts. Switch
Push in, pull out, fwd backward, up down
Each action operated different contacts
Only one set of wires going to the lights
The switch contacts choose which wires are hot giving power to the different functions
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
wildmanbaker wrote:
It could very well be your turn signal switch that is the problem. Replaced quite a few police car turn switches because they would set with their food on the brake for long periods of time. All the functions go through the switch, brakes, flashers, and turn signals. The contacts would over heat and melt the housings, resulting in either not contact, or contact all the time.

I would normally agree with you on the switch and that was my first thought as well. But what kind of sets this apart for me that the turn signals and brake lights all work normally. Now after reading the post above about the sharp edge under the dash, I'm inclined to think that's the real cause of the problem.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A known issue with the W20 chassis, that can affect some of your lights, is under the dash. There is a steel brace that supports the dash. This has a sharp/raw edge and there is a major wiring bundle that sits on top of this brace. After many miles of bouncing down the road, this can wear through the insulation on one or more wires and cause several different intermittent problems. Sometimes a fuse will blow, but not always. The contact made between a bare wire and the steel brace will vary if you hit a bump or jostle the dash when parked. The best solution is to put some type of a pad or cover on top of the steel brace so that it does not compromise the bundle of wires. It is easy to spot once you figure out how to stick your head under the dash and look around, which is not the easiest thing for most adults to accomplish. I doubt if this is your problem with the flashers but it is something to keep in mind. I suspect that your issue is with the flasher relay, especially if some of your lights were changed to LED's.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
It could very well be your turn signal switch that is the problem. Replaced quite a few police car turn switches because they would set with their food on the brake for long periods of time. All the functions go through the switch, brakes, flashers, and turn signals. The contacts would over heat and melt the housings, resulting in either not contact, or contact all the time.
Wildmanbaker

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When you write that "they are not working", do you mean that they do not illuminate or that they do not flash. The fact that the turn signal indicators come on with the brakes indicates that the problem is with the hazard light switch itself as that should never happen. I suggest that you start there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
the fact that your turn signals indicators light in your dash tells you the hazard switch works you have a another flasher somewhere

drifterpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will try to locate the 4-way flasher later today.
2017 Allegro 34P
7,900 Miles, Ford V10
Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
What vehicle?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Have you replaced any bulbs outside the coach in a while? If so I would pull those bulbs and see if the problem goes away.

If the bulbs are good I would look at the flashers. There are usually two flasher units in a vehicles. You have already replaced the turn signal flasher. You need to find and replace the Hazard light flasher.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
how 'bout the 4-way flasher?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle