cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Sprinter stealth ClasB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am having 19 yold Lance truck camper and when I could not sell it for reasonable price (50% of NADA) I decided to use good interior for new conversion and dispose faded body.
Pictures will be coming as I already have rear dinette and shower stall installed, but would love to hear opinions about few technical dilemmas.
So I don't want propane on board, meaning all appliances will run on electricity. With bus version I have 250 amp alternator and dual AC, so I don't anticipate any power issues while on the road, when on hot days I can run the engine for some time, I have following dilemmas:
1- did anybody tried to keep refrigerator running overnight on 2 battery power?
2-how long 150W electric element takes to heat water in standard w/h? I've been using electricity for water heating in my previous RVs, but having campground hookup, I never actually timed it.
3-I plan to use camper transfer switch where inverter would be default and once I plug shore power, the relay will switch
4- no toilet on the conversion, so I am putting porta-potty inside the shower. So far a try shows that I need to lose some weight to make it working. How guys having porta-potty in van manage its use while having other people?
5-with gray water tank only I don't want to make 3" water dump. What are the smaller options?

Click For Full-Size Image.

25 REPLIES 25

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

And - look at that nice, big refrigerator!

YEAH !!! we like to pamper ourselves to good food and that thing makes ice even with 110F outside.
So "Margarita here I come"

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kayteg1 - I did run into the problem with membership... Can see them now! How splendid that you get to reuse the guts from your truck camper. Great job!

And - look at that nice, big refrigerator!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try right click and "open image in new tab"?
I hot linked the pictures from Sprinter forum and maybe they require membership.
Can do imgur hotlinking if that is not working.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Kitchenette.

Had lot of leftover doors from camper, what made nice cargo covers.
Bus had factory 12V outlets on rear pillars, where I rewired left one for house batteries. Now since engine was not started for long time, I run visible jump wire between the outlets, to use house converter to keep chassis battery at top charge.

Argh! Can't see your pictures...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
If you want to heat your water while driving you can also look into a heat exchanger using the engine to heat your water.

I was thinking about it, but tapping into engine heating system is not that easy, while bringing higher risk of something failing.
My plan is to use shore power to heat the water before morning departure and with extra insulation I put, WH should hold the temperature till the night.
So using alternator for water heating will be used on rare occasions only.
I was also thinking about getting Webasto coolant heater for the purpose, but that would bring high complication and high cost as well.
Keep it simple.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Kitchenette.

Had lot of leftover doors from camper, what made nice cargo covers.
Bus had factory 12V outlets on rear pillars, where I rewired left one for house batteries. Now since engine was not started for long time, I run visible jump wire between the outlets, to use house converter to keep chassis battery at top charge.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keytag,

This is going to be a marvelous RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to heat your water while driving you can also look into a heat exchanger using the engine to heat your water.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips about induction cooker.
I had induction cooktop in my rental years ago and it did not work with tenants too well, so did hesitate, but now single burner is cheap enough, so I bought 1 on amazon.
I am a bit confused. Cooktop manual says I need steel pot, when aluminium pots have label on them that I could use them?
Will have to make some experiments, but now, I am getting exited when projects start showing what it is going to be.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
230W panel, two 6V batteries. We use the crockpot as we are going down the road. Lunch or dinner is ready by 2 p.m. Electric blanket comes on at night on low under the fitted top sheet. Works great, little to no power.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keytag1,

I love my NuWave induction cooker. They are more efficient and that's always desirable. The best feature is being able to move the temperature by as little as 5 f. Add a dutch oven and bingo out jumps a slow cooker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1000W inverter generator as well. Even I have big Honda for years, when fellow forum member gave a tip about HD having them on sale for $150, I just could not refuse to buy it ;).
For years I have propane burner that screws on top of small cylinder.
Used it on the boat, but one time, while cooking on the beach my wife kicked the pot over.
So potatoes were extra crispy that day . Only lately I found I can buy enlarged shoe for the cylinders.
Even I have electric cooktop, I never used it in RV. I found out my favorite is toaster/oven, where I can bake kielbasa, zucchini, onions and tomatoes, while potatoes are easy to bake in microwave.
So I plan to carry those 2 units in this van, although they will have to go under the bed for travel.
I already build smaller cabinet on driver side, who will have to serve as wardrobe, leaving narrow side for shelving. Maybe small appliances will fit there for travel and countertop will be good place for using them.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I have an all electric B that I bought 2 years ago and still sorting out the occasional time that I don't have electric hookup. Haven't tried to push how long the compressor refrigerator will go on my one battery, I intend to add a second but I think that still will only get me about a day. When I know I am going to be off grid I carry a small 1000W inverter generator to recharge as needed.

I solved the cooking problem with a small Butane stove, doesn't take up much room and I carry a few extra cylinders. The one I bought below, can also be used with propane and I cary the adapter but no cylinders, I can buy them anywhere if I run low on Butane.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW87Z9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

So this is my set before doing electrical.
Another question. I want to put 6 belts in the dinette, who is going to be elevated.
Sprinter has 2 factory anchors I can use for belts with M12 (about 1/2") threaded holes on the side, what is good. Than the bus had wheelchair lift installed and the converter add 2 more anchors on the sides, but in 7/16" diameter. Than I have grab bars in the rear with M8 factory anchors.
When I don't intend to make the van having full rollover ratings, the 7/16" added anchors seem to be on weak size?