Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Sprinter stealth ClasB
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> My Sprinter stealth ClasB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measured duty cycle on my absorption fridge is 2:3. i.e. on for 40 minutes and off for 20. This doesn't seem to vary with ambient temperatures much.

It takes mine about 7 hours to cool down--duty cycle of 1:1

Once it starts to cycle energy demand is 5.7 KWH per day.

I suggest getting a danfoss compressor unit--one that runs on 12 volts so there will not be inverter losses.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info.
My goal is to reuse parts from old camper and the big Dometic fridge performs pretty well, that's why I am reusing it.
Don't know about alternator duty cycle. The bus has electric cabin heater as well and even I can't find precise data, it has to be >1000W.
I hope that working in cooled interior loop, the fridge will have to work less, than with original set, what was circulating air with triple digits temperatures around the coils.
Lot of the stuff goes under elevated dinette floor. Water tank is on driver side, so I put w/h and battery on passenger side. W/h running on electric doesn't need any vent beside safety valve drain, when battery is a type with venting tube that will go thru the floor.
Now I am working on electric panel. Original is having pretty big converter, but I am planning to use it. I plan to stuff it deeper under the dinette, only with access to front panel, but in case of any bigger problems I will have to take dinette off (about 1 hr) to make access. I think this will be acceptable.
Just to make it clear, I am making the conversion with fast trips in mind, not prolonged dry camping.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

So this is my set before doing electrical.
Another question. I want to put 6 belts in the dinette, who is going to be elevated.
Sprinter has 2 factory anchors I can use for belts with M12 (about 1/2") threaded holes on the side, what is good. Than the bus had wheelchair lift installed and the converter add 2 more anchors on the sides, but in 7/16" diameter. Than I have grab bars in the rear with M8 factory anchors.
When I don't intend to make the van having full rollover ratings, the 7/16" added anchors seem to be on weak size?

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an all electric B that I bought 2 years ago and still sorting out the occasional time that I don't have electric hookup. Haven't tried to push how long the compressor refrigerator will go on my one battery, I intend to add a second but I think that still will only get me about a day. When I know I am going to be off grid I carry a small 1000W inverter generator to recharge as needed.

I solved the cooking problem with a small Butane stove, doesn't take up much room and I carry a few extra cylinders. The one I bought below, can also be used with propane and I cary the adapter but no cylinders, I can buy them anywhere if I run low on Butane.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW8........_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 1000W inverter generator as well. Even I have big Honda for years, when fellow forum member gave a tip about HD having them on sale for $150, I just could not refuse to buy it [emoticon].
For years I have propane burner that screws on top of small cylinder.
Used it on the boat, but one time, while cooking on the beach my wife kicked the pot over.
So potatoes were extra crispy that day . Only lately I found I can buy enlarged shoe for the cylinders.
Even I have electric cooktop, I never used it in RV. I found out my favorite is toaster/oven, where I can bake kielbasa, zucchini, onions and tomatoes, while potatoes are easy to bake in microwave.
So I plan to carry those 2 units in this van, although they will have to go under the bed for travel.
I already build smaller cabinet on driver side, who will have to serve as wardrobe, leaving narrow side for shelving. Maybe small appliances will fit there for travel and countertop will be good place for using them.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keytag1,

I love my NuWave induction cooker. They are more efficient and that's always desirable. The best feature is being able to move the temperature by as little as 5 f. Add a dutch oven and bingo out jumps a slow cooker.

* This post was edited 03/15/20 01:46pm by pianotuna *

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

230W panel, two 6V batteries. We use the crockpot as we are going down the road. Lunch or dinner is ready by 2 p.m. Electric blanket comes on at night on low under the fitted top sheet. Works great, little to no power.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tips about induction cooker.
I had induction cooktop in my rental years ago and it did not work with tenants too well, so did hesitate, but now single burner is cheap enough, so I bought 1 on amazon.
I am a bit confused. Cooktop manual says I need steel pot, when aluminium pots have label on them that I could use them?
Will have to make some experiments, but now, I am getting exited when projects start showing what it is going to be.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to heat your water while driving you can also look into a heat exchanger using the engine to heat your water.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keytag,

This is going to be a marvelous RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> My Sprinter stealth ClasB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.