Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: fifth wheel gas stops
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel gas stops

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
solman

Deep in the heart of Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
I will be taking my first trip with my 36 foot fifth wheel towed by my F250 SC with an 8 foot bed. Total length is about 54 feet. This has a gas engine not a diesel and In the past with a 29 foot travel trailer it was often hard to find a gas station with enough room to pull in and out easily. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on fuel stops going to Myrtle beach from NJ. I think mostly on I 95 southbound for this trip.
Do flying J or Pilot have RV fuel areas for gas?Or are they for diesel.

Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

simsfmly

Port Aransas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Flying J's have a RV lane in front with Gas & Diesel. That would be my go to. Use an app to make sure you can go from one to another during your trip. Safe Travels.

[url=http://simslandyacht.blogspot.com/[/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My issue with the RV Lanes I've seen at Flying J is that fact that they are the one farthest in from the entrance and with all the cars parked in front of the store making it difficult to get into an out of. We've had trouble when we only had a 25' TT and standard cab long bed TV. Wouldn't even thing about trying it with our 43' 5er and long bed crew cab dually.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

simsfmly wrote:

Most Flying J's have a RV lane in front with Gas & Diesel. That would be my go to. Use an app to make sure you can go from one to another during your trip. Safe Travels.

Fine if you don't mind paying maybe 20 cents more a gallon. Flying J and Loves only are afordable if you have a discount card. GS gives a small discount at Flying J. Yesterday diesel was $2.73 at a Flying J on I-75 and a few hundred feet down the road at some local station is was $2.55

I don't know of any lists you just have to stop outside the station an LOOK, you want an outside island. Is there lots of room to turn around once you are in? If not keep going.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan your route and determine, as best you can, at what mileage interval you should plan on stopping for fuel (leaving the appropriate reserve amount still in the tank - don't run it near empty). Use Google Maps or Google Earth around the points you identify to find and check out the satellite view of potential fuel stops (search for "gas stations near . . ." the town where you plan to stop). You can even go down to ground level in Maps & Earth to check things out from the highway. There is a distance ruler in Earth you can use on the satellite picture to check out turns and clearance if need be.
There are several apps for smart phones & tablets that can identify fuel stops on routes and maps.

Good luck.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to start looking about 1/2 tank when I towed my fifth-wheel. I gave up on truck stops. Too much congestion trying to get in/out, gas truck. Tried to find gas stations with pumps not slanted. Or, I mostly unhooked every night, then went to fill truck up.

EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before any trip to unfamiliar areas I plan what roads/hwys I will take. I then calculate my fuel stop distances. I then search fuel stations in the closest town/area. Once armed with the stations addresses you can use google maps to look at a street view. I write down a list of usable stops to take with us. This method has not failed us yet. I often can identify 2 or more in a given area so I have options. I started this practice because diesel access can be problematic on 2 lane hwys. It should be easier to find options this way for a gasser. I have surprisingly found some rather small stations that had an RV friendly layout.
Greg

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a driving class and get more comfortable with your length. Wife picked a 40ft 5W with a CCLB so I decided I need to learn to drive that big. I took a CDL class and ended up buying a class 8 truck. After 750,000 miles in 75ft there are few stations I won't go in with 35ft 5W and the CCLB. Know where your trailer is and watch clearances, wait until clear to pull in.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch your tail swing. Once you are experienced you’ll get in a lot of places you’d be afraid to try now, but if you turn too soon leaving you’ll learn a hard lesson about the difference between a 5th wheel and TT.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EgorKC wrote:

Before any trip to unfamiliar areas I plan what roads/hwys I will take. I then calculate my fuel stop distances. I then search fuel stations in the closest town/area. Once armed with the stations addresses you can use google maps to look at a street view

This is what I do too. I usually try to find a Pilot or Flying J because I know I will be able to get in for gas fairly easily. Yes, it's more expensive but I'd rather pay a little more per gallon and know I'm not going to get in trouble. I drove from Western NY to Central Florida using this method of finding gas and had no issues at all.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel gas stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.