Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: fifth wheel gas stops
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel gas stops

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good advise here. I also will calculate where I think I'll need to stop and then your google maps to view the stations in that area. We have two Loves within an hour of our area. One has a great setup for gas trucks as the pump islands are parallel to the building. The other is the complete opposite as the pump island is perpendicular to building and not much room to swing around the building once you did fill up.

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pretty much 58 feet in total length and have never had a problem getting gas. Just pick a gas station that has a side road entrance/exit and enter through the main entrance and take the outside pump. When finished just exit the side road. No worries. When that option was not available and it was too tight I just back out onto the main road that I came in on. DW spots and stops traffic and away we go..

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 6.2 gas engine pulling a 36' 5th wheel trailer will take lots of gas stops on a trip.
Your also traveling a interstate so truck stop type fueling will be quicker unless your tight and want to drive around off the interstate looking for a mom and pop fuel station big enough for your length...and your trailers height.

As one poster mentioned I also like to use google maps/street view for looking at places we want to stop....or which lane I need to be in to make a exit/entrance for the service I need.
Most trips for us are not planned so Its a must have for my co pilot to do google maps/street view while we travel and need to stop for the nite or fuel.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too pull a 36 ft FW with a gas engine. I found that when you’re looking for a gas station that you can get into price doesn’t matter. It’s more important to me that I can get in and out easily. Also I only get off on exits that have at least three gas stations that way I have a choice of which one is easy in easy out. When you’re only getting 6-7 miles to the gallon you learn quickly because you’re stopping a lot. lol Also when we stop for the night I always unhook and top off the truck with gas without the FW.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas tankers supply gas stations. Gas tankers are longer than anything that we RVers drive.

We don't try to do truck stops only. Better prices are usually less than a 1/4 mile further from the exit. For us almost every station has diesel. Almost every station has diesel/gas pumps at the end of the line of lanes.

The biggest issue is often the thoughtless car driver who uses that end pump, blocking the use of the diesel pump, & has gone inside for food or bathroom & has abandoned the car instead of moving it or using a gas only lane.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run from SE PA ( North of Philly ) to North Myrtle Beach almost every year..

We stay on the highway and utilize truck stops for fuel. We know how far we can go with our 50 gallons of diesel and use the same ones each trip.

I believe my Bro in law is good for around 175 miles before fuel, and he checks ahead of time online to see.

We look for Flying J as well, yes the pumps are in the front near main entrance, but we have never had an issue getting in or out.

We have been BOXED in once or twice at the big lanes and decided to let those lane to the big boys. They will pull up just far enough to allow you to pull in and fill,, well , its a pretty fast fill with high output nozzles, those guys are in stretching their legs, bathroom breaks, food, ect.. all while I was boxed in...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Gas tankers supply gas stations. Gas tankers are longer than anything that we RVers drive.

Yes but you'll notice that gas tankers do not pull up next to a pump.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my big RV and along with Double Towing I hit the Truck Stops. As I am pulling into the area if it looks like I have room I pull into the regular pumps.

I would not want to be in your situation. I can tell you the RV pumps that have both gas and diesel are not always easy to maneuver once filled!!!

Good luck!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is something interesting from the KZ forum. Fuel program that gives =way= better discounts than does the GS or other in-house fuel cards. Note that Emperor Marcus is going after Pilot/Flying J as he claims they have an exclusive contract with them for their measly 5 cent discount.

https://kzfamilyforum.com/thread/3034/new-diesel-fuel-program

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Nodaker

North Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have often found stations with easier access near smaller towns or rural areas. The pumps are more often parallel to the storefront rather than angled toward the store. Also much easier than the exits near busy truck stops!

Nodaker
2009 Chev 2500HD
2015 Jayco 321RSTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel gas stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.