cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New smoker grill

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new toy, seems well made, have a pork roast on it now to test it.

Got it from Amazon, about 30-35 lbs, has a latch to hold it closed when not in use, will be a permanent addition to my load out.
smoker/grill
15 REPLIES 15

jonmurd
Explorer
Explorer
Any serving photos to share with me? It needs to me

In my opinion, you should not use any gas smoker grill on. If I don't wrong you need to use Charcoal Boirl3028 Model. https://grillsever.com/best-propane-smoker/

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to admit how big a dummy I can be.

I have had my Smoke Hollow grill for two years. When I started it up I could not see any difference when using the smoker flame on low or high. Like duh, I tried it early this month on low setting for the first time. The temp never got to 130F. On high it always was at 150F. Now it was in the forties outside. But that says it is putting out less BTUs.

After knowing that. I made really outstanding baby back ribs and this last week the best filet minion I have ever made. All on the smoker burner knob set on low. That is the only way to go. A bit of mesquite smoke helps.

I hope I am the only one that did not figure out the above.

It is a great well designed grill.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt that I would do it but have been debating the Pit Boss Tailgater.
We have the Road Trip from Coleman. I like it for cooking maybe a third of the things we prepare and cleanup is terrible... It does not do the low and slow!!!
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Just got a new toy, seems well made, have a pork roast on it now to test it.

Got it from Amazon, about 30-35 lbs, has a latch to hold it closed when not in use, will be a permanent addition to my load out.
smoker/grill

Wow, it looks really impressive and I like the side shelves. Any serving photos to share?
Don't use a gas grill, I carry one of the small coal ones (here's my latest, from masterbuilt) and a bucket of charcoal. But now I'm starting to think about adding one of these to my collection.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of them. I am keeping the one that is in the OP’s picture. I really like it for smoking and indirect cooking.

I liked it so much I bought one without the trays for the camper. Unfortunately it is cumbersome to take out & put away. Live & learn.

I bought 10lb LP tanks thinking lighter to manhandle while camping. One tank last almost a summer at the house. I do not grill every day.

They are really well made & grill just fine. But the low temp cooking & smoking are where they shine. Slow cook a steak and then sear it at the end makes for a great steak.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Looks good!

I think it holds temps fine when on high. I tend to always be looking for a low temp like 225 to 275 ish. So holding temps is kind of on the other side of the scale for me. I have noticed it doesn't really "Grill" that well. I think a Weber-Q is much better at grilling with the ceramic coated cast iron grill. Makes serious nice marks on a burger. When the smoke hollow is on high an the grill is real hot it really doesn't make nice tasty marks like the Q does. That's actually all I "Grill" for the most part on the little Q.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
So, curious, how does it hold to temps...

I currently have a CharBroil and while it'll get up to some 550F according to the hood gauge, but when putting something in there it drops to around 350F and won't go any higher, not that I really need to, but the temp regulator doesn't seem to control the temp that much.
It's either on or off...

So wondering how this sticks to temp settings..
Thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one of those and they work great. Nice to be able to turn one burner off and cook long term on indirect. Also, in many cases you can turn off both burners and just leave the smoker tray going and keep the temp above that "all important 185 degrees". The manufacturer doesn't "mark" adjustments on the smoker tray. It is assumed you turn the smoker tray to "full on". However, if you take the tray out an peer in there, you can carefully turn it down to lengthen the duration of your smoking chips. This is real nice, very adjustable unit.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these, but without the side shelves. I added big black handles to each side to make it easier to carry. I use it when camping but also use it at home sometimes. Excellent smoker and bbq grill. Love the 3 separate burner controls plus the top rack. I bought the adapter to use the 1lb propane bottles which work great on this unit also.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the pork, it came out great, and the grids, which are porcelain covered , cleaned very easily.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Kewl, looking good..
I put it on the Amazon Wish list...
like the 'Smoker' option an the side trays..
thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When’s dinner? What can I bring?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Have mesquite chips in it now, and a mix of Cajun and mesquite and SW spices on the roast.
Still a newby, just learning how to use this.