Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power inverter question

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Silly question regarding power inverter battery consumption. If I'm using my portable 400 watt power inverter to power a 75 watt TV, does the inverter draw the full rated wattage at all times or will it only draw the amount of power it needs to run the TV? I have 300 watts of solar to re-charge the batteries during the day, but it would be nice to watch TV at night for a few hours without worrying about draining the batteries too much.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“but it would be nice to watch TV at night for a few hours without worrying about draining the batteries too much”

Do you have an adequate battery bank for your power needs? Determine this by an “what I want to use” energy survey. Once the battery power needed is pegged you can compute if 300 solar watts is sufficient for recharging.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Divide wattage of device by 10 to know the battery draw in amps.

75 watts = 7.5 amps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Many Thanks,
I was hoping that the load dictated the power consumption rather than the inverter pulling maximum wattage all the time whether I used it or not!

Jimbee

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Input power consumed roughly tracks output power being delivered. Depending on the particular inverter, there is some inefficiency. Up to about 15%, so you’d expect maybe 85W being consumed running a 75W load. There is also a small idle demand, probably about 100mA or a Watt to a Watt and a half.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73