Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Heading Home (North)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Heading Home (North)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to try and stock up on the way home. You never know whats waiting for you.

A class B wouldn't allow much room for "stocking up"

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdb7566 wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to try and stock up on the way home. You never know whats waiting for you.

A class B wouldn't allow much room for "stocking up"

How much room do you need to re-stock your fridge?

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though the fridge in our B isn’t quite the size of our one at home, it will be packed when we leave and between that and what we left in the cupboard at home we should be good for 2-3 weeks. If we feel comfortable on our last travel day we will stop in at a favorite store on the Cape and pile extras on the bed we won’t need that night. If not we will skip it and just go to the ferry.

We will have full water and empty waste tanks so we are free to stay wherever we want as our comfort level dictates.

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have friends traveling right now. Illinois governor issued a shelter in place for the entire state. When friends contacted the state they were told it is perfectly fine to travel thru the state on their way to MI.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Have friends traveling right now. Illinois governor issued a shelter in place for the entire state. When friends contacted the state they were told it is perfectly fine to travel thru the state on their way to MI.
Thanks for the information, good to hear. Hopefully GA, SC, NC, VA, West Va., MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT and RI follow suit (which I am 100% sure they will) so we can get home. [emoticon]

Dave

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/20 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got home yesterday after coming through Illinois and Michigan. No problems and crossing back into Canada was fine, very quiet for a Sunday crossing.

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back yesterday. Took 5 days to travel from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta.

Campgrounds in Montana where filled up by the end of the day. Luckily, I had made reservations or I would not have got in (Dillon, Montana). Also had reservations in Shelby, but decided to cross the border and stayed at Milk River, AB. By end of day, the campground was full.

No problem crossing the border at Sweetgrass/Coutts. About a 15 minute wait and the bonus was that they did not ask me how much I had in purchases so did not have to pay GST on the amount over my allowance. Saved me a bunch of money as I had overspent by a lot.

No problem getting fuel at Flying J/Pilot or Love's. No long lines. Used hand sanitizer and then washed hands after handling pump. Don't really think the virus could survive in a diesel environment.

Looking at the infection rate curve, I would advise everyone to head home ASAP and shelter in place. The US rate is on track with that of Italy a week ago so it is getting serious.

Stay safe and well everyone................

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olfarmer wrote:

Wash your hands after pumping fuel, the handles on gas pumps are almost never cleaned!

I wear gloves, I always have.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wearing gloves... while getting the last few things from Publix for the trip home we saw a guy in a mask, with gloves, take his bags from the cart and put them in the trunk, adjust his mask then get in his car... with his gloves on. Go figure. Dog Pooh bags are my new go to piece of safety equipment. Simple to use, drop right off your hands into trash cans.

Dave

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in the ferry terminal waiting to cross to Nantucket. A successful 1550 mile trip, at times eerie due to the empty roads and other times near population centers it seemed normal except no traffic delays at all. We emptied out half of our big storage compartment under the bed up onto the bed and stocked up on plenty of food to our quarantine. That area will stay at outside temperature so it is almost refrigerated.

Never having pushed an limits on our coach we learned that the gating factor for not tending to tanks is our black tank which will just get us through he 2 hours ferry ride. [emoticon] Fresh and gray could go another day.

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Heading Home (North)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.