Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So after much procrastination and diddling around....and being the cheapskate that I am, I ordered a set of airbags for my 95 Bounder 34j.

Just what Mr. Bounder needed! And, it really was not all that hard to install. New leaves were about $1500. This was about $500.

Then I saw it....rear sway bushings. GONE. Rotted, fallen off many miles back, laying on the side of the road like roadkill.....

MOOG supplied! HD blue sway bushings both on the frame and the sway end. Along with the airbags, I be pimping now like a big dog!

I bought Airlift 5000 model. Independent air connections. (Might put a compressor on this). Rear end raised about 4 inches at about 70lbs of pressure.

Road test! Along with getting yelled at by my oldest son for buying yet another car to add to my fleet,---Hey KID the deal was too good to pass up, a 2017 Fusion Hybrid for $8800. (I can tow the Fusion on all 4's). The C-Max is a great car but this was too good to pass up.

I was going down the highway with the cell phone in my ear and driving with 1 hand. Cops can't see me anyway. IF there were any.

No sway. Not being pushed by passing big rigs. In fact, the only complaints seem to be the dishes in the sink in the kitchen.

The Bounder felt like it was riding a bit more firm. I had the PSI set at 60. The 100g water tank was full and 3/4 tank of gas. Now with fresh tires, Bilstein shocks, new sway bushings both upfront and now rear, with airbags, this big boat handles pretty **** good for a 25-year-old coach.

The install was not exactly as planned. Yes, there were pre-drilled holes on the frame. But not exactly matching up. Once the top bracket was mounted, and we squeezed the airbag down onto the bottom bracket mounted on the axle housing, it was all straight forward, no pun intended....

I ran the air lines to the storage compartment---one on each side. But when I saw the condition of the rear sway bushings....

So, we are now ready, (we being me, two dogs and a mean old Siamese cat that thinks she is the queen of the Nile), are getting ready to make the trip from Cal to Kansas.

The cooling system rebuilt. New brakes. Tires. Shocks. Bags and bushings, the generator is now up and running, microwave replaced, the coffee maker is new, AC and heaters working, and a rear camera now installed at the license plate.....

Next stop....Pratt, Kansas. The farm manager can see me coming so they will run for the fields when they see this baby lumbering down the road heading their way. "EVERYONE RUN...California is here....bail, everyone make yourselves disappear, California has arrived....."

Now to have the shop build me tow clips for the front (nonplastic area) of either the C-Max or the Fusion.... aint retirement fun? And only one kid yells at me. No old lady to make life miserable. Just a mean cat, two Aussies who collect socks and shoes which they stash under the couch, a big motorhome...life is good. Gas is cheap. And if Covid visits, the kids have the passwords to the accounts. If you know what I mean.

* This post was last edited 03/15/20 08:45am by RustyMacIntosh *   View edit history

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear the bags are working well.

“(Might put a compressor on this).” I decided against this and use a bicycle pump. The undercarriage compressor is supposed to be the weakest link in the system.

What do others say re my comment?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been wanting to do this to my 97 Bounder (96 chassis)
36j with Tag axle the But holes not in place
Have been delaying me, and the Tag axle makes it more confining and harder to do, i think the Airlift 5000 is the one I've been looking at

* This post was edited 03/15/20 09:32am by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of sicko am I for being dissapointed that there's no pics?

Nice work BTW.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same thing back in 2006 on our 99. went with this air system to have air for the tires and bags, No issues so far. The number is different than what is showed due to years.

https://www.viaircorp.com/new/485c-gen-2-dual-oba

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, pictures would be nice.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rear of my 95 32H Bounder rides really nice since the air bag install in 2010.
Have you scaled your 34j with 100 gallons of water on board? That 833 lbs will put you over weight.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

What kind of sicko am I for being dissapointed that there's no pics?

Nice work BTW.

I cannot figure out how to post pictures. I can do a link....

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't yell at me, but you can see the sway bar bushings.....now they are brand spanking absolutely bloody NEW

https://postimg.cc/p9gx1Grf

https://postimg.cc/ygcBqm3w

AND my new Fusion Hybrid. No it is not a buy here pay here place, that is next door This lot is an investment of mine. They sell nothing but Hybrids and Plugins....

https://postimg.cc/JGP8W4t4

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

The rear of my 95 32H Bounder rides really nice since the air bag install in 2010.
Have you scaled your 34j with 100 gallons of water on board? That 833 lbs will put you over weight.

Richard

I've got the Bounder on a Keto Diet. I am afraid to scale it. No doubt it is beyond overweight. I know by the way it sat without the bags I was heavy on the starboard side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.