Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update have been at this alL day since before noon, , removing the dual wheels was not a problem drilling the holes is a very big problem, the Ryobi seems ok,but me I'm too light weight for squatting in the wheel well trying to drill thru 2 layers of steel, there is a body flange steel over the chassis just as thick as the chassis, together got to be about 1/2" thickness, don't have even one hole completed will spend Sunday drilling mounting holes for the first bag, instead of getting both installed. ?¥€#&#$$×%
Maybe cobalt steel drill bits would help,got to get wheels back on, calling it quits, got to be earthquake ready, start again tomorrow ..maybe ! And do what I can
Or
Maybe take Sunday off and rest up, need more muscle than what I have, in order to drill these mounting holes

* This post was last edited 01/17/21 11:52am by MrWizard *   View edit history

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This kicked my butt, nothing mounted, one hole v Maybe 3/4 way thru, I put the wheels back on, I might take tomorrow Sunday off, and rest and rethink this
They say 3 hours, I thought 4 hours per side, did not think all day not even one side complete .. too old not big enough strong enough, back hurts

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need an impact drill,also make sure you use lube cutting oil for the bit

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used cutting oil,the bit stayed cool was not burned, still had good edge,
Yes I thought about a new larger drill impact driver, I posted here,
That and cobalt steel drill bits might do the job, it would also help of I weighted 200# and was 40yrs younger, at less than 130# squatting in a wheel well, it is difficult to maintain enough force to drill into this steel, not like standing at a work bench, where I could bear down on it, or use a drill press,
The amount of effort needed drill is difficult to apply, when your a "Feather weight" like me
This is case where Brawn is useful and needed,
If could borrow a small portable hand held laser drill I could do this project In no time flat
8 holes ....zap. Zap. Zap done

* This post was edited 01/17/21 12:13pm by MrWizard *

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizzard, your drill bits are dull. That frame material is mild steel and should drill easily. Go buy a couple of new drill bits of the correct size and drill at slow speed. First drill through the new fixture with the correct size bit to make a small mark for the pilot bit to center on. Then drill the pilot hole and the final hole. I drilled my frame with a cordless drill motor with no problem.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bits are from new set, titanium coated,
Richard you were under the rv ?
Pushing up ? Solid ground under you
Correct ,?
You do realize there is a huge difference in the amount of applied force that can be maintained,
Given that you were an immovable object which could not be moved,
And my applied force was also pushing me away from the rv, remember physics, equal opposite reactions, you could not be moved the drill had to go forward into the steel, in my case the cutting force was actually 1/2 of the energy I was putting into it, nothing behind me keeping me immovable so all force is on the drill bit
Yes I want to get harder drills, that stay sharp longer, also going to get some friend, younger and heavier to do the drilling
But Not today, I'm exhausted, maybe later in the week or next weekend
Yesterday was much too tiring

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Bits are from new set, titanium coated,
Richard you were under the rv ?
Pushing up ? Solid ground under you
Correct ,?
You do realize there is a huge difference in the amount of applied force that can be maintained,
Given that you were an immovable object which could not be moved,
And my applied force was also pushing me away from the rv, remember physics, equal opposite reactions, you could not be moved the drill had to go forward into the steel, in my case the cutting force was actually 1/2 of the energy I was putting into it, nothing behind me keeping me immovable so all force is on the drill bit
Yes I want to get harder drills, that stay sharp longer, also going to get some friend, younger and heavier to do the drilling
But Not today, I'm exhausted, maybe later in the week or next weekend
Yesterday was much too tiring

No, I was drilling horizontal holes just like you. On my knees pushing the drill motor. Maybe I'm a little younger than you. I'm only 77.

Richard

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
The rusty looking area is a section of the body flange, covers a huge area of the chassis rail, the mounting holes I'm trying to drill must go thru flange and then the chassis, I got one 1/4" pilot hole almost thru, lateral force into the steel while squatting in the wheel well , is not equal to the force you can apply when you can bear down, or lay on your back and push up/in with all your strength because your back is against a solid object like the ground, if you can not be braced to apply full strength, the only force that can be applied in a horizontal lateral 90° angle is equal to your weight, especially when squatting, not the same as standing with legs spread one foot behind you, in the CLASSIC pull push sideways stance leaning forward into what you are doing,
I had the feeling this could be difficult physically, (technically it's easy), I just did not think it would be that difficult to drill those freaking holes, and it was hot yesterday 88° , same again today, got to check and tighten the lug nuts, before going to the gas station

* This post was edited 01/17/21 08:29pm by MrWizard *

kdk

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If those titainium bits are not of a good grade bit, go to Lowes and purchase a good quality high speed bit. I got some bits from harbor freight that were supposedly titainium that would hardly drill a hole in wood. Having worked in machine building for over 20 years of experience a 1/2 " hole in mild steel with a good bit shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If you have a Industrial tool supply huose would be a goodplace to get one or maybe two, but again drill a pilot hole first.

06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

First pilot hole,, never made thru, never even got to try the 3/8" Drill bit

Well Richard you must be a more robust fellow than I am, I'm only 72, never been over weight, never had heart problems, never been a tobacco smoker, worked with tools most of my life, electronics tech, machinery tech, construction electrician and so forth etc..except for allergies and bouts of Flu, no serious illness, always had good health, there's cancer in the family tree, my mother and a brother, but I've been lucky , maybe it's simply the drill bits, but unless you weigh less than my 120#, I think that is part of it, so was the difference in our working positions, I was squatting , you said on your knees, in that position your legs thigh muscles give you some leverage to brace against the force of yours arms pushing on the drill , I'll park the RV different next time, and try doing this on my knees, I know that squatting is not a good position for me , doing this job, not efficient use of my light weight body mass

I spent a great deal more time than 5 mins, way too much time, I'll buy some more bits before I try again

* This post was edited 01/17/21 06:07pm by MrWizard *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.